Wallpapering over emulsioned lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

If anyone could offer any advice I would be very grateful.

I have a large lounge 28' long and would like to redecorate it with wallpaper.

I previously lined and painted it with matt emulsion and was wondering if this would be suitable for wallpapering straight over.

The lining paper is all sound and well adhered and the colour was duck egg (Matt)

I was thinking of using some good quality vinyl paper but have a couple of questions regarding this;

what would be the best sort of WP paste to use, I am worried that normal WP paste would reactivate the paint and cause the colour to bleed through or ruin the new paper.

Is there anything else to be aware of or to look out for.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Glenn

Sponsored Links
You should be ok with Normal Solvite. If in doubt use some ready mixed adhesive which will be stronger anyway. You shouldn't have any problem with papering over the painted lining paper.

Personally I'd remove the paper and start from scratch, I'd be concerned about the original paper coming away from the wall. It may have been different if it had vinyl silk as opposed to matt. I think the cost of the paper for a 28ft room is too much to risk

Ray

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back