Another painting new plaster thread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, 1st time poster so please bare with me.

I am currently in the process of painting some recently skimmed walls and have done 1 mist coat so far using Gliddens contract matt.

Am I now ok to use Johnstones Covaplus Vinyl Matt now for the walls (watered down?) or do I need a second 'mist-coat' of Gliddens prior to using the Covaplus?

Any advice would be appreciated as I am a bit of novice!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As long as you have covered all the walls with the mist coat of Gliddens contract matt (good choice!), you can now proced with the Covaplus (another good choice - are you sure you are a novice? ;) ). You can slightly water it down to ease application if necessary but not really much more than 5%.

BTW, if you didn't leave the skim to dry for at least 7 days before misting, don't apply the Covaplus until that time has passed as it will trap any remaining moisture beneath it and could cause tha paint to bubble in the future. The contract matt will still allow any moisture to escape in the meantime.

Thanks misterhelpful, glad to know I am on the right track.

I picked up my knowledge reading this forum if you are mistaking me for an expert!

I picked up my knowledge reading this forum...

Always good to hear that. If only everyone did the same! :LOL:

Just noticed that you didn't state in your original post whether you had watered the Glidden down for the mist coat (should have been around 20-25%) but seeing as you learn from the forum, I presume you did. ;)

Sponsored Links
Yep, watered it down as much as I dared for a mist coat.

Could misterhelpful (or anyone else) recommend a 'final/top' coat for my ceilings. I have done two coats of Glidden Matt, just wondering is this OK for a final coat?

I plan on using on using Covaplus for my walls, but this seems a bit pricey for ceilings.

Could misterhelpful (or anyone else) recommend a 'final/top' coat for my ceilings. I have done two coats of Glidden Matt, just wondering is this OK for a final coat?

I plan on using on using Covaplus for my walls, but this seems a bit pricey for ceilings.

I personally like to use Dulux or Crown Trade emulsions as finish coats, but, if you are happy with the finish of the Glidden on the ceiling, there is no real need to use anything else unless it is in an area of high humidity (bathroom, kitchen, etc) where a specific Kitchen/Bathroom paint or acrylic eggshell would be more suitable. (Vinyl silk emulsion is also suitable in these areas.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back