Another patio question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got two patios to build over the next couple of months. I've spent hours trawling through paving expert.com, and think I've got it right.

Patio 1
Replacing decking laid on solid concrete just outside the back of the house. I'm using Bradstone carpet stones and simply bedding them onto a 6:1 sharpsand opc dry mix, pointed with Wickes buff drymix paving pointing product.

Patio 2 - The back breaker
This will be 10m2 using 20- 30mm thick dark grey limestione (from B&Q) 400m sq slabs. Half of the proposed site had to be built up and is between 50 and 500mm (sloping garden) of rubble bearing partly onto the old concrete path (cracked to allow water percolation) and partly onto a compacted flower bed. The other half of the site is on a raised height flowerbed (with all sorts of old building waste in it). This raised section is roughly 200mm higher than the finished level of the patio, so it's my intention to re-use a lot of the soil from this to fill the voids in the rubble on the other half. I was going to reduce it to the correct level, then hand tamp it the soil down and add another 50 - 75mm of Type1 to bring it up to level. Then a membrane, finally the slabs would be bedded on a 30 - 40mm thick bed of dry mix of 6:1 sharp sand / cement and pointed with that Wickes stuff again.

My killer issue is that there is no rear access, the road I live on is just about wide enough for a single car and is also used as a rat run so bulk deliveries are out of the question. Every single material that I bring in has to be carried to the house up a hill from the parking area over 100m away, up a flight of steps, through the house and then up another flight of steps. So far I've brought in all the slabs and 30 bags of sand, cement and concrete and that nearly killed me (and took the best part of an entire weekend). I'm estimating that I'll still need another 20 with this solution. I hope that you can see why I'm hoping that I can cut a few corners on the laying of the base.....

I'm using dry mix as pavingexpert warned (particularly with thin natural stone slabs) that wet mix can lead to staining of the surface by capillary action.

Does the above sound feasible, as I really don't think that I can face lugging many more bags through the house.

Sponsored Links
lol, thx!!!

We are going to be moving in a year or two as it happens, but "I've started so I'll finish". So far its cost me about a £1k, but that includes a Makita chainsaw and a nice big Bosch SDS drill, and it will probably add more value to the house, if not it will certainly offset the fact that its a flying freehold.....

Anyway, I'll presume that coz no one has jumped all over my 1st post telling me it won't work that I've got a fighting chance of it working.....without breaking my back (or spirit).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back