Another Plasterboarding Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Sorry if this query sounds similar to one of the previous posts.

I'm about to plasterboard a ceiling, and I'm going to use the
boards with the tapered edges, and then use the jointing
compound to fill in the gaps. (Wow!)

What's the best way to join the plasterboards to the walls at
each side of the room ? The outside edges won't be tapered.
Does it matter ?... and if it does, can I just cut my own tapers
by using a sharp knife, and then fill the gaps with jointing
compound ?

Thanks in advance.

Yorkie

Sponsored Links
Normally the plasterboard edge would be hidden by the plaster on the walls. If you have taken the old plasterboard down you will be able to see this. If you are worried about it put some coving up.

Generally you dont use TE Bords on celings they are for taping and jointing walls really some yanks do it and canadians however they are usually also boarding the walls so thats how they get around it teh celing is done first and then the edges that a a little shy are hidden with the wall boards, as nstreet mentioned a nice way to hide it would be coving or if your worried about cost then you can get a very very small basic cove in polystyrene for little cost. Really you should use SE boards and plaster it mate :)

tapered edge boards are used on ceilings all the time whether your skimming or taping and jointing, tape the edge with fibre tape fill it and sand then cut the tape on the wall when its set then use a flexible filler around the edges of the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
I always use tapered edged boards on ceilings, then you can skrim the joints and run a trowell of skim over the taped joints that bring your tapered edge level with the rest of the board and the skrim has a decent covering of plaster! Obvious realy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back