Another Potterton Suprima drama

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post here.
What a pile of poo this boiler is. It's only about 6 years old but in that time i have changed:
Fan assy 3 times
PCB twice
Temp sensor once.
Inlet/exhaust tube twice
Inlet/exhaust elbow once

The problems started with a failed fan PCB so I replaced it.
That lasted a couple of weeks. I found that the plastic exhaust tube had hardened and cracked, allowing condensation into the induction tube which would then drip directly onto the PCB.
I replaced the tube and the PCB and all was well for a year or so. Then the same thing happened again and this time I found that not only was the exhaust tube cracked again but the cast elbow was so corroded that it was holed and also allowing condensation into the induction tube.
A new elbow, new tube and new PCB and function was restored.
Another year and this time it appeared that the pressure differential switch was playing up. It took me a while to discover that there was so much sediment in the heat exchanger that it was blocked, causing the pressure problem. i removed, stripped and cleaned it and all was well again.
Next season the PCB failed. That lasted a year. Another PCB and also temp sensor as it had gone brittle and cracked.
Today the boiler has failed again. It's dead, no lights at all but there's power to the PCB. I haven't investigated yet, it might just be a fuse, but what a royal PITA this thing is. You can probably deduce from my forum name that I'm used to fixing complicated things but this is ridiculous.
Rant over.

Sponsored Links
If you work on cars then I expect you recommend that they are regularly service them.

Unfortunately you dont think a professional service is a good idea on your boiler.

Tony

I was just thinking "what a well mainstained and serviced boiler"

there was so much sediment in the heat exchanger that it was blocked,

But then with Mercedes they spend half their time being fixed, so I would think the OP should be happy with his Potterton equivalent.

Especially as all that mechanic's equipment is ideal for testing and servicing his boiler :rolleyes:

I was thinking that Vaillant were the boiler equivalent of a Mercedes!

Overcomplicated and overexpensive to repair!

Sponsored Links
Nah - Vaillant electronics - unlike most other German engineering - are not too bad.

I have said it before - on my Japanese car, the only bits on that break are the German ones. :evil:

Except maybe the clutch..... but that's my fault for having too much fun in 3rd Gear ;).

Thanks for the encouragement! :rolleyes:
Well, if the first engineer that I'd called had been any good, he might have pointed out that by not servicing the boiler at 12 months I had allowed the sediment to become an issue, then I might have held my hands up and said "It's a fair cop".
However, after three successive "engineers" had looked at it and all scratched their heads, I decided that I wouldn't waste my time gambling with so-called professionals in the future.
Much like in my line of work, there are good and bad engineers, it's really a matter of luck or recommendation that you find anyone good.
So, you experts are telling me that it's perfectly acceptable for these failures to happen repeatedly? Go ahead, convince me.

No, we're not saying it is acceptable, we're saying it's par for the course with a Potterton that has been poorly looked after/installed.

I hope so. :eek: :LOL:

You mean you havn't replaced the fan yet? :eek:

Did your man check recouperator (secondary hex).

Yes it is a Suprima HE80.
There were no LEDs lit up at all so I assumed the PCB (after checking that it had power to it).
I bought a new PCB and it was exactly the same.
Bizzarly, the lights came on if I disconnected only the plug that led to the fan. I pulled the cover off and disconnected the fan, re-installed the plug at the PCB and the lights stayed on. I reconnected the plug at the fan and the lights stayed on and the boiler began to function as it should and has been running all day.
I can't understand how a fault at the fan can lead the PCB to extinguish all of the LEDs rather than give the usual flash code.
I'm not too bothered about having a spare PCB now, I'm sure I'll need it one day!
And I still think the boiler is a pile of poo!
Any tips (apart from cleaning out the condensate trap) as to what my be going on here would be gratefully received.

How did you choose your three boiler engineers?

I am always interested in how the not very good ones get any work to do!

Since the PCB powers the fan then its not surprising that the fan has an effect on the PCB.

Yesterday I had a problem with my Peugeot 406 and was very surprised that there was no decoder to show which fuse supplied what!

Even more surprised that the steering coluum switch mixed indicator and headlight supplies in one connector. From what I could see there was no specific fuse for the indicators and the flasher relay was not easily accessible without serious plastic panel removal.

The radio in my 106 seems to be permanently fixed in place and stays in place in spite of my forceful attempts to remove it after sorting out the spring clips on either side at the front.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back