Another Potterton Suprima drama

Sponsored Links
You can try and bait me with your insults but you're wasting your time.
So, the "professional" opinion is that despite the fact that the PCB has a facility whereby it offers flash codes to assist in diagnosis, it's quite normal for a fault in the fan to cause the PCB to simply play dead?
If you insist on using car analogies that's like saying that if you have a bulb failure then despite the fact that you've got a bulb failure monitoring system in the instrument cluster then it's acceptable for the battery to become automatically disconnected, thereby rendering all electronic diagnostic capability redundant and your car to be immobilised.
I see that the PCB has a socket at the front which looks like it might well be an access point for further electronic interrogation by a competent person with the correct diagnostic equipment. If that's the case then none of the three "professionals" that have looked at this boiler, and one of them is the bloke that installed it, had that equipment.

Imagine if your car had broken down and you called someone out to look at it. The first bloke that turned up was the bloke that sold you the car in the first place. He wants £100 call-out, turns up and says "Oh, that's weird. I don't know what's wrong with it." The second bloke turns up, also wants a call out charge, and tells me that the flue is installed incorrectly aas it's angled in such a way that the condensation will run back down the exhaust and re-enter the boiler............ he suggests that he cut a larger hole in my outside wall and angle the flue downwards so that the condensate runs OUTSIDE!
The third bloke I bumped into at a plumbers merchants. He seemed like he knew what he was doing and offered to come and take a look. he spent the day with me trying to point the blame at just about every possible component but not coming up with anything like sound reasoning and certainly no sign of any dignostic capability whatsoever. In the end I said to him "look, here's some cash, go and buy everything that could possibly be causing this boiler to be so unreliable and install it tomorrow whilst I'm at work. I'm fed up with spending my time poncing about with this thing when it could be better spent fixing cars and making money. Just make sure that when I get home from work tomorrow the house is warm." The next day i get home from work and there he is, reading the paper and drinking tea, with a pile of new unopened parts on the table next to him. "Why haven't you fitted these parts?" I exclaim.
""Because I wanted to wait for you to be here so you could help me" was his reply.
Given the experience that I've outlined, can any of you seriously question why I would not say "stuff this, I'm going to fix it myself!"?
So, don't get on your high horses, just do your bit to restore my failth in your profession and offer some positive, constructive advice please.

Sponsored Links
Today the boiler has failed again. It's dead, no lights at all but there's power to the PCB. I haven't investigated yet, it might just be a fuse.

Have you checked the fuse at boiler terminal strip?

If fuse is ok then check 240 volt across brown/blue at 6 pin connector on board.

What CANBUS doesn't throw up anomalous faults? Don't make me laugh.

Diagnostic ports on boilers are not like OBD ports and manufacturers don't like selling the sales and software to non employees. So don't get on your high horse just because your industry's diagnostic tools are sold for 50p on eBay. :LOL:

Why didn't you get Potterton to come and fix it? They will have your blessed diagnostic equipment - or at least you might think so. Why didn't the original installer not rectify the installation errors? The second guy obviously didn't have a clue.

As for the third...you spent the day with him, four d out he couldn't do diagnostic work, but still let him loose with your cash and boiler? Oh dear.

Have you checked the fuse at boiler terminal strip?

If fuse is ok then check 240 volt across brown/blue at 6 pin connector on board..

Thank you gaswizzard for your constructive response.

Yes, I did check the fuse and for 240v both to the board and from it and all was OK. This is what surprised me in that all the lights on the board were extinguished and yet it was powered.
As I said, having disconnected and then reconnected the fan the LEDs on the PCB lit up and the boiler has now been working fine for a couple of days, so it's a bit of a mystery.
I'm getting to the point where I want to have a new boiler installed but finding someone I can have faith in is proving a little difficult.

Dan, to date my spend on diagnostic equipment is equal to 100,000 times what you might pay on ebay for your "diagnostic" equipment but it's evident from the content of your posts that it would be futile to expect understanding from you, but thanks for your contribution nonetheless

Think I'll add - never buy a German car - you'll have pillocks fixing them :LOL:

Oi Robbo! I fix my beloved's Mercedes rather a lot and........OK, sometimes I can be a bit of a pillock.

Sounds like you have missed out on a great opportunity by not replacing this guys boiler......Let us hope that he found a decent intaller and hasn't put too much faith in German marketing

I just spent £3500 having a whole new system fitted. I didn't spend that money with Dan.......

I do hope that you had it installed properly by someone you can trust to come out when it faults.

Suppose the Suprima PCB had a PTC fuse element which had tripped out due to overcurrent.

You disconnect the fan causing the load to cease. The PTC fuse then cools and recovers and then works normally afterwards.

With the PTC fuse tripped there is no supply to provide the diagnostic functions that you expected.

A simple check on the PCB would have led to finding that the PTC had tripped.

Don't forget to get the new system serviced to ensure that its working properly and to keep the warranty validated.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back