Another pump sucking air down the expansion pipe thread....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ever since my CH system was installed over a decade ago the pump has seemingly pulled air back in through the vent pipe once the water got hot, if set anything higher than the lowest speed. I have had a plumber out once to revise the pipework (pump repositioned vertically rather than horizontal) but this didn't solve the issue. The layout looks okay (see photo below - cold feed on the far right, expansion on the far left and the vent pipe definitely extends more than 450mm above the F&E tank in the loft), but I have always wondered about the bores. I'm sure I've seen examples where the feed is 22mm and the vent 15mm, and this makes sense. However, both are 22mm in my setup - does this really matter?

DSC_0054_zpsb3pblryx.jpg

Sponsored Links
Seal it up mate!
My dad's place had a similar issue and that's what I did for him... rather than faffing about!
His CH has been perfect ever since - pristine system water and all rads piping hot!

Just wondering but could you have some sort of one-way valve on the vent pipe?

Sponsored Links
Either the vent and feed are piped up the wrong way round or there is a severe restriction on the cold feed, if the pipes are correct I would look at the tee just above the pump, went to one a few years ago where the pipe going in to the centre of the went through and blocked the tee almost completely.

Do a simple test with a magnet all round the h section and the tees. Any attraction indicates a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back