Another Question on Wooden Flooring!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just a couple of quick questions on laying wooden flooring. I've got a 6mx4m concrete floor covered with vinyl tiles so:-
1. Is it okay to lay the boards directly on top a polythene DPC using Sika Bond T53 adhesive?
2. Is the adhesive strong enough to hold the boards or do I need to nail as well?
3. Any tips on how I start laying the boards from a very uneven wall

Cheers
A38

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid the answer is no to the adhesive - won't hold on the tiles - and a loose DPM sheet won't be any good to glue onto anyway.

If your boards are fairly long - not many of 30cm long I mean, like you can have in DIY-shed offers, 300 - 1200mm long boards) you could consider to install the floor using the floating method, installing a combi-underlayment first (to prevent any "sweat" of the vinyl tiles coming into the wood) and glueing all the T&G's correctly.

In the event you have too many short boards and cannot install it floating you would be better of using a self-adhesive underlayment like Elastilon (which needs a separate DPM sheet).

Hi
Thanks for that. Looks like i'm going to have to have a re-think on how I do this. I had a chippy come and give me a quote last night and he said it was ok to glue directly on the the tiles :cry: . Spent a fortune on the flooring so the last thing i want do is bugger it up by laying it wrongly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back