Not another laying a wooden floor question........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like some advice on laying a wooden flooring over a solid concrete floor, my main question is what would be a good place to start laying and in which direction, are there any other tips you could give me.
I am planning to used wide board engineered flooring(still to finally choose)
This is the plan of the area I am aiming to cover, the large room at the front has large patio windows in front and left walls and is approx 5m x4m
the other big bit is a kitchen.

View media item 2815
The concrete floor has only been down a few days and I understand I need to wait a couple of months for it to dry out.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
If in the large room the top and left wall both have large windows in them it's down to personal preferences which direction to install.
If you would install the South/North direction (South is bottom of drawing etc) and there are no obstacles on the right kitchen wall I would start there, going straight into the living area too and filling in the part utmost right of the living room later.
If you want to have everything is one direction the minute you walk in the frontdoor I would install East/West.

Thanks for the advice Woody, so it would be ok to run the wood north south along the corridor, that was my main concern.
The Front door is to the south on the left hand bit of the hall, so that is ok.

Another question, in your opinion, would this be too big a job for a complete novice to floor laying?

have a read of the http://www.woodyoulike.co.uk/ website. You will find alot of info here on how to install. Any other questions then come back here for extra advice.

As long as you follow the basic rules and are not stupid, im sure you will do a fine job yourself!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice Woody, so it would be ok to run the wood north south along the corridor, that was my main concern.
The Front door is to the south on the left hand bit of the hall, so that is ok.

Another question, in your opinion, would this be too big a job for a complete novice to floor laying?

Hallway can be installed South/North, but IMHO it would look odd - many short length from front door to kitchen area. You could consider going West/East in the hallway only, install a thresholds between hall and kitchen and go North/South there.

Take your time, take your preparations, measure twice - cut once ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back