Another "Replace Microbore" Type post......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for your time...any input would be appreciated,

Our house currently has an Independent C30 Combi feeding 8 radiators (4 down, 4 up) – concrete base so all off downstairs fed by droppers.

Feed and return from/to Boiler is 22mm is via two “manifolds” upstairs that have microbore to/from each radiator individually.

System works fine – circulation / balance is good and radiators get up to temperature quickly enough.

We are currently have a complete re decorate together with the addition of a conservatory which will have a radiator fitted and needs a supply from (probably) one of the downstairs feeds.

I have been, or am considering replacing all the radiators, still original early/mid 80's installation with something more modern and efficient (bathroom with towel rail thingie) so am also considering replacing the microbore with 15mm at the same time. New radiator sizes may be different so some pipe work may be needed anyway. Biggish job but thought process is if we are going to do it then now is the best option whilst we have a relatively empty house.

Would anybody foresee any potential issues in replacing the current individual microbore feeds with perhaps a slight extension to the 22mm feed/return and then 15mm throughout ? Any problem with the boiler being OK for such a setup ?

If I stuck with the microbore would it compatible with new generation radiators or not have enough throughput for them to be efficient ?

Any input / thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Freddy

Sponsored Links
Micro-bore systems work fine, providing you get the balance correct from the manifold, any messing can cause issues. If you are up dating system and considering enlarging pipework, it would be a better option to remove the complete pipework and manifolds. Then start of with 22mm flow/return from the boiler. Purely my opinion my I add!

Micro-bore systems work fine, providing you get the balance correct from the manifold, any messing can cause issues. If you are up dating system and considering enlarging pipework, it would be a better option to remove the complete pipework and manifolds. Then start of with 22mm flow/return from the boiler. Purely my opinion my I add!

Thanks for the input - perhaps I wasn't too clear as thoughts would be to remove all pipework from manifold (it's 22mm to/from manifold) and replace with 15mm.

Freddy.

Sponsored Links
Long day, yes - manifolds to be removed !

I could extend the 22mm or just go 15mm where the current 22mm feed/return meets the manifold.

I have just one small radiator that may need to stay micro due to access behind fitted cupboards but I would hope that could t-off new 15mm ?

MTIA

Freddy.

It would depend on distances and load on the 15mm pipework as teeing off this in micro-bore may cause heating issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back