Another Self Levelling/ DPM Question

i dont think so. Im thinking of starting to hire the equipment out myself . seems to be big demand for it! in fact whats your area? If your local i might let you borrow mine.

Sponsored Links
mattysupra said:
joe lets say that the heating system needs to be bonded to the 'latex' or maybe you want to lay surface dpm on top of the 'latex' compound??? As they asked in there original question. Well guess what joe??? You cant put epoxy dpm onto latex! Reason being is that its shear strength is not higher enough to take the pressure it will encounter. Or maybe they want to glue a wooden floor to it? Well you cant do that either. Plus its compression strength is also weak, so if you decide to install lets say karndean, lino etc you can damage the flooring with heavy items. And what you talking about with science? You want to challenge me on how moister etc works? i think not.

Rubbish. Latex screed is tough as F***. It will easily take the weight asked of it. I ask again - what do sheer forces have to do with a floor?
If you put a heating system over a damp floor then you will have a situation like the wick in an oil lamp - it'll keep on evaporating the damp that will then condense on the windows and the whole place will be full of mould.

The original poster needs proper advice - not some daft idea that you've dreamed up.

Sponsored Links
mattysupra said:
First you need find out the moister reading of the floor. You dont want to putting down epoxy dpm if you dont need it.
What's the minimum reading that you would tolerate before saying "no" to epoxy DPM?

I would also re think the under floor heating thing to. Really is more hassel than its worth.
You're in a minority - u/f heating is growing in popularity very quickly.

The maximum moister content in the subfloor can be no more than 75%rh
. Any more than 75% and it should be treated. And yes underfloor heating is growing as it has become very cheap compared to a few years ago. You would be amazed at the damage it can cause tho.

Softus said:
mattysupra said:
I would also re think the under floor heating thing to. Really is more hassel than its worth.
You're in a minority - u/f heating is growing in popularity very quickly.
That is right Softus, but it is a real hassle too like Matty says - and there are increasing reports of being unhealthy, it dries out everything very quickly - like your skin etc. The biggest problem is that most people use an UFH the way they use radiators - on off on off - instead of leaving it at a minimum level that suits the season.

Andrea, have you considered skirting heating?

This is the first time I have heard of it to be honest. I have had a look over the info and it looks... but what about the price?

Is it expensive to buy and run?

Thanks
Andrea

Not really to my knowledge. Not more than UFH and much less hassle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back