Another shower cable question. 6mm or external upgrade?

plugwash said:
yeah and whats wrong with that its an earth ffs

So why not run 1.0mm singles for lighting :?: Or anything else for that matter.....

My lecturer used to say (quite rightly imo) that the cpc is the most important conductor of the three, but that most people treat it as the least important.

Don't get me wrong, plug, I'm not having a go, just pointing out another anomoly in 7671.

It's OK to run singles for the main earth, bonding, even supp bond at 4mm, but seemingly not much else. Where is the invisible line that says "thy can install singles for some earthing sitns, but not others."?

I guess it's because one is for earth bonding and the other is a cpc as part of a circuit.

The NIC say if a cpc is run seperately to the l & n, then it must run "in close proximity" to the l & n.

So if you did run your conductors as you suggest, you'd have to be sure of this.

Sponsored Links
yeah you would i was just suggesting that tails would be easier to get down conduit than T&E whilst having no need to worry about keeping them enclosed for the entire run like singles.

double insulation is NOT about better insulation (that could be achived with a thicker single layer) it is about making wear/damage visible before it becomes dangerous.

Blimey that was quick ! Lots of replies overnight. Plenty of info for me to go on.

Looks like general consesus is upgrade, and external is the way to go, so that's what i'll do.

Seems to be some options on cable types - i'll have to look into each a bit more now that I know exernal can be done and seems to be answer.

Cheers everyone for all the info and opinions.

G

plugwash said:
ban-all-sheds said:
Yeh - guess you're right - I've never used a mix of DI phase & SI cpc, so I've just got this thing in my head about unprotected singles.

surely thats what you have connecting your service head meter and CU
True.

OK - you can stop now..... :oops:

Sponsored Links
He says it's new, but it's not on the reel, it looks a bit grubby, and it has a few twists in it.

I'm not saying it's been used, but not sure how "new" it is.

As the cable is white, id say its from B&Q.

If its off the reel, then its going to be like that. Why ship a big reel for 22mtrs of cable, when it was 100m / 50m.

He has to pull it off to measure it.?

AliasOmega said:
As the cable is white, id say its from B&Q.
I think other places sell white cable. Not that it matters where he bought it.

If its off the reel, then its going to be like that. Why ship a big reel for 22mtrs of cable, when it was 100m / 50m.
True. But I hope it was only 50m, or his shower cable is 78m long :eek:

He has to pull it off to measure it.?
fnaarr fnaarr

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back