Another travertine thread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sure this will have been covered before but what the heck :D
Was planning on laying travertine tiles 60x40cm in our kitchen (40sqm) once the extension is finished. I`m going to fit an overlay ufh system with screed board ontop to give a nice solid flat surface to tile to. Always wanted trav but I`m getting cold feet hearing how fragile it can be. Is it really that bad or is there a better alternative with similar looks

Sponsored Links
Good trav is fine. Cheap trav that is full of holes isnt fine - honestly you get what you pay for. Watch out for cheap filled and honed as its mostly filler.

Several companies, including myself sell good quality trav that has very few holes and is solid and relatively dense, we have no issues with it at all

That sounds promising, what's your opinion of topps trav

I think you have to go a look at it. Topps get some cheap nasty stuff in sometimes and sell it at a discount. As well as holes / filler there can also be a lot of shade variation with Trav.

Sponsored Links
Did have a look. There dearer range looked like it very little filler as quite good on the reverse side. Just the colour was slightly Darker than I'd prefer.
I'm after a light ish shade work little filler, don't mind a bit of colour variation as it is a natural stone after all

as AdamCh says its quite variable quality. i think they dabbled with lower quality stuff a while back and have now backed off it.

You'll tend to pay a premium at topps. If you have the time\inclination order some samples online or go into your local independant.

If your looking for a lighter one, have a search for savannah travertine, its quite light and popular. Classical flagstones were the original people bringing it in and in that form its great quality. Several others are selling it now too, but some sell other products under the same name so just be a little careful.

Topps will do me a good price as kind of know the manager and his best friend is my tiler through work.
Thanks for the tips :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back