Travertine project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought myself 50M^2 of filled travertine 600 x 400 and am gearing up to fit. I haven't laid tiles this big before.
Any comments on the following would be appreciated.

Concrete base, screed is 6 months old, slab 1 year.
I may pour a little SLC in places, but mostly it's OK.
I am not expecting to need any other surface preparation: screed isn't dusty. - Is this OK?
I'll get a "large format" trowel and lay the tiles directly into the bed. I guess the ribs will squash out to provide "solid bed"? - or do I instead buy a "solid bed" trowel with one single wide notch going right across?
I have a delayed set white adhesive Ultra ProflexSP Extended Set Flexible - I'm not a contractor in a hurry, and I thought this would give me a little more time.
I'll be aiming for 5mm grout joint. - Would 7mm be more sensible?
My grout is "ivory" Granfix brand. Haven't seen it yet. Tiles are lightish Travertine, worried now I should have ordered white.
I'll be sealing prior to cutting/laying. I have Universeal Travertine conditioner.
I have to deal with joint between old slab and new extension. This is tricky. I am expecting to place a width of some sort of decoupling membrane in a strip perhaps 200mm wide across the joint, then leave an expansion gap right over the joint best I can. That would deal with horizontal movement, but any remaining vertical movement could still crack the edge off the tiles. Any tips for this one?
My rather old cheapo diamond cutter may not be up to it, - best value for replacement blade?
Some of my tiles will be on top of ex. Marleys. I have acrylic bond/prime for this areas. Hope that's OK.

Sponsored Links
prime all areas with sbr, follow mfr inst..for mix ratio..
prime up the slab then across the slab(full coverage this way)..also helps bonding off tile addy..

seal travs before fixing..
only use a white FAST setting adhesive,a slow setting one "could cause bleeding through the tiles"

lift the marleys and start from scratch,they will more than likley contain asbestos so use the proper PPE and then bag them properly also for disposal.

movement/exspansion joints from genesis/homelux..etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back