ANOTHER uneven floor - But am I too late?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

Had some flooring put down, but now it appears to be bouncy in some areas. Room (well area to be precise) is not a heavy traffic area and not really that large either (about 4x4m). Chap who installed it is a friend (i.e. not a pro) who measured the floor briefly and said it was within tolerances.

However, as stated above, its really quite bouncy in some areas.

I've read a fair bit from this forum, but still not sure if it can be cured relatively easily; it is t&g floor which has had the t&g glued (it is an engineered wood floor). We can access the underneath on some parts (very tight but can be done).

The subfloor is wood (MR type chipboard stuff), the differences in height (the drop downwards when you step on it) seem to about 5-8mm at the worst places. expansion gap is definitely sufficient, so no tenting (sure!). I guess my questions are:

1)Can this be resolved without having to try to remove the floating engineered floor?

2)Is there any merit whatsoever in trying to spray some expanding foam into the gaps below? (wouldn't the foam just crack when load is introduced to it?)

3)If the floating floor is to be removed (probably possible to lift it upwards, not sure about totally removal without dissecting it), what is the best way to straighten up the floor below? Would large sections of plywood be strong enough to detract from the gaps below, or would that too take the shape of any undulations? (would it therefore need a levelling or gap filling product to be used below it?).

4) If it needs to be dissected to allow for complete removal, is it better to cut through the middle of the area on on row of boards? Then replace those with new ones? And then I presume mattysupras method shouldbe employed?

5)Is it possible to resolve such an issue by sliding varying heights and lengths of plywood to problem areas in an effort to get it a bit flatter, or would thar just move the probblem about?

6)As above, but with additional layers of underlay (it is a felt non dpm type, about 2mm)?

7)Do nothing? How would a floor cope in such situations? Would it eventually crack underfoot in places?

Edited to says thanks (especially for reading all that!)!!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the sub floor was not within the tolerance of the floor laid.

Or something has been left under the floor . ie bits of wood etc...

You will probably have to rip the floor up, level the sub floor and start again :eek:

Thanks for the reply. What we ended up doing was work the t&g grooves loose on a row of the floor so we could take it up (to an extent) and place those green underlay things below. It's made a big difference and it seems to have settled nicely.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back