Another village hall test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I set up lighting for an upcoming AmDram show to allow for the halls appointed people to do the electrical testing.
The stage lighting supply consists of 3x13A metal clad DSSO about 3m above stage level and difficult to get to without steps as they are on the wall above some storage cupboards. Each is on it's own B20 radial of about 20m of 2.5mm² T&E and pretty much in free space hanging across the metal structure within the false ceiling after the first 3m in 100x50 plastic trunking with 7 other T&E's. These 3 circuits are on a dedicated consumer unit which is switched off when not in use (mains switch and all 3 breakers and the supply breaker).
4 of the sockets have broken bits of white plastic in the earths so I'm assuming that in the last 8 months someone has used childproof covers and broken them, possibly due to the awkward access. No amount of cajoling will release 3 of them so I came home and got 6 metal clad SSSO's from stock to replace them.
The guy came to examine our kit and the first thing he looked at was the sockets, did the calcs and has stated the breakers need to be B16's and is refusing to sign our stuff off until that's done. Our current max load is around 8KW so this will not be a problem to us.
Looking back over the last 7 years paperwork he has signed the PIR 9 times including the last 4 and the AmDram installations 13 & last 4, when I asked why it now won't pass he said the regs have changed and it needs to be upgraded to a 17th edition consumer unit.
CU is fed from the main board [next to it] on a C63 and I'm pretty sure it is metal, the bit I'm struggling to remember [last November I only got round to switching it off once out of 2 rehearsals and 2 shows] is whether it's a RCD as main switch with MCB's or an isolator and 2gang RCBO's, [these are 2 venues the the group use].
Does this seem like work creation to others?
Depending on hall bookings tomorrow we hope to get in to put the tabs up and will take pics.

Sponsored Links
A bit vague, but -

What exactly do you mean "upgrade to 17th edition CU"?
Has he told you you must have an Amendment 3 metal one? If so, not true. Anyway, it only applies to domestic (household) premises.

As you have mentioned replacing with 16A MCBs, he could mean that the Zs is now too high considering the Cmin requirement.
I suppose that is one regulation that may be retrospective.

A bit vague, but -

What exactly do you mean "upgrade to 17th edition CU"?
Has he told you you must have an Amendment 3 metal one? If so, not true. Anyway, it only applies to domestic (household) premises.

As you have mentioned replacing with 16A MCBs, he could mean that the Zs is now too high considering the Cmin requirement.
I suppose that is one regulation that may be retrospective.
He wouldn't go into any detail, my only test was Zs of 1.16Ω, 1.17Ω & 1.19Ω which felt OK for something as small as B20.
I guess we'll find out on Monday.

Lighting I thought was limited to 16A not 20A is that what he is talking about, and at 16A you would be on the edge around 25 meters of 2.5mm² would be limit for volt drop. However this has not changed so question is why fail it now? This was always my worry, miss something and then what happens when it's found at a latter date? If some one installs a circuit and it is tested 5 times and passes, then the tester realises he has made an error, you can't really go back to the installer at that time, all you could do is claim off the previous tester because he missed it and in so doing stopped you claiming from installer at the appropriate time.

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-23_9-29-3.png
    upload_2017-7-23_9-29-3.png
    248 KB · Views: 166
Sponsored Links
Lighting I thought was limited to 16A not 20A is that what he is talking about, and at 16A you would be on the edge around 25 meters of 2.5mm² would be limit for volt drop. However this has not changed so question is why fail it now? This was always my worry, miss something and then what happens when it's found at a latter date? If some one installs a circuit and it is tested 5 times and passes, then the tester realises he has made an error, you can't really go back to the installer at that time, all you could do is claim off the previous tester because he missed it and in so doing stopped you claiming from installer at the appropriate time.
Been back this morning but the room with CU is in use.
These are the supplies for the stage lighting which most certainly does not get restricted to 16A, the 3 dimmer packs we plug in are 4 channels of 10A and have 32A plugs mounted on them, the largest fitting we have is 650W so pack load will not exceed 2.6KW 11.5A.
My online calc shows this socket arrangement is good to 31m
socket calculator.jpg
and these are nothing like that length, in fact the R1+R2 at installation in 2006 are: 0.42, 0.43 & 0.42. Assuming 1.5mm² CPC this is a very realistic 23m.
The only thing that has changed is having 2 SSSO in place of each DSSO but I do share your concerns about missing something and it biting you later. I learnt that one the hard way in panel building:whistle:

It will be limited to 13 amp by the fuse in the plug.

Sounds like work creation to me.
There are 2 sockets per circuit so technically potentially 26A capability.

Sounds like work creation to me too

A well timed phone call has just happened from the halls admin, the invoice for yesterdays testing [which AmDram have to cover] £50, estimate for parts and labour to upgrade CU to 17th £32 including VAT, no mention of downrating MCB's

Good question, particularly given that it appears to be being suggested that it would cost less than £27 + VAT to 'upgrade' to it!!

Kind Regards, John
As I mentioned, he wouldn't go into any detail but I wonder if I've called his bluff with the MCB derating as there's no mention of that in the estimate.
All I can do for now is wait for the followup but at that price it's not going to be very much in the way of materials is it?

Edit: Or time for that matter

Last edited:
All I can do for now is wait for the followup but at that price it's not going to be very much in the way of materials is it?
Quite so. It really makes no sense. Whatever is meant by "Upgrade CU to 17th", it surely must involve more that £27 worth of materials plus labour?

Was there perhaps a "0" missing from the end of the quoted price?! I'll be interested to hear of developments!

Kind Regards, John

Even though there is no such thing, what is the usual meaning of a "17th edition board"?

Isn't it just one with two RCCBs?

Quite so. It really makes no sense. Whatever is meant by "Upgrade CU to 17th", it surely must involve more that £27 worth of materials plus labour?

Was there perhaps a "0" missing from the end of the quoted price?! I'll be interested to hear of developments!

Kind Regards, John
I haven't seen the email, only been read out and it's £27 plus vat of £5.40 so I don't think the error would happen twice... or would it?

Even though there is no such thing, what is the usual meaning of a "17th edition board"?

Isn't it just one with two RCCBs?
for stage lighting there is certainly no need for 2 RCD's but I can't remember if this hall has RCD + MCB's or isolator + RCBO's.

In stage lighting there is every need to split the load over two rcds, for obvious reasons. DBO :(

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back