Quick question on Loads, Currents & Cabling

They don't sync with the main meter, but there is no reason for them not to be accurate.
Thanks - i just assumed that if EVERYTHING in the premises was switched off completely and the only consumption was these 16 machines (on a sub-meter), then the main and sub-meter readings should match??

Sponsored Links
Was waiting for a 'call an electrician' smarty pants to step in - there's no harm in acquiring knowledge beforehand so I know what the cheapest option is.
The cheapest option will be the cheapest option offered by your electrician, no matter how much knowledge you acquire beforehand.

If the business is employing an electrician who they do not trust then they need to get a better one.

I did call one who kept banging on about tapping into a new phase and opening a new line altogether - sounded very $$$ to me.
99.9% of the work will be installing the cables and sockets, and not affected by where they are connected at the DB.

If the business is employing an electrician who they do not trust then they need to get a better one.
On the other hand, it doesn't do any harm to find out options beforehand. Especially if it's a small business and doesn't employ a sparky very often, it's hard to know if the sparky you are using is trustworthy. They may well trust the sparky they use, but if they have no knowledge of the subject, he could still be "padding the bill".

Put another way, how do they know they can trust the sparky they are using if they don't know enough to know if they can trust what he's telling them ?

EDIT: And not to mention, they may well have someone they've used before - but they do have a habit of retiring, packing in because they've had a better option, ... and then you have to find another sparky and it's back to square one.

Thanks - i just assumed that if EVERYTHING in the premises was switched off completely and the only consumption was these 16 machines (on a sub-meter), then the main and sub-meter readings should match??
Should, but no meter is 100% accurate so it will only be accurate within an error margin.

Sponsored Links
On the other hand, it doesn't do any harm to find out options beforehand.how do they know they can trust the sparky they are using if they don't know enough to know if they can trust what he's telling them ?

EXACTLY and thank you

The Q was for the knowledge which should be free! I neither have the tools nor the time for this heavy stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back