Another 'which boiler' question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this probably gets asked on here every day but I couldn't find a recent example which was any use to me.

I live in a one bed, first floor flat. I have four radiators. The current boiler is a Saunier Duvall installed in 2001. The hot water to the kitchen sink fluctuates significantly. It's normally only at about 20*c. If I turn the heating on it might start to heat up the water. Sometimes I need to turn the heating on and have the tap on full blast for the water to start heating up.

The shower temperature also fluctuates. I find I'm regularly turning the hot or cold tap up or down depending what the water's doing during my shower.

We don't plan to stay in the flat forever. We should be gone in less than five years. British Gas have quoted £2600 for a Worcester 24i High Efficiency but I think I could get a Baxi or Potterton Gold for less.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
You could get a better boiler like an Intergas fitted for a lot less than that, probably for about £1750 upwards.

The actual cost depends on how close a drain is and if the gas supply needs to be upgraded.

There are also cheaper boilers but the Intergas has a five year warranty if fitted by an approved installer and a good reputation for reliability.

Tony

Ruby the Vaillants have 5 year warranty too and some Baxi / Pottertons 7. Approved fitters will then make it 7 for Vaillant and 10 for Baxi/ Pottertons. Ideal I understand is 10 years out of the box.

It is not a case of how long a warranty is, it is how it is fitted. Instal a boiler can lead to revoking of warranty

The long warranties are not there for the benefit of user or installer. Most boilers are fairly reliable and many manufacturers have hundreds of PAYE engineers on their books to keep busy. Therefore they may as well offer them.

Becoming an accredited installer is incredibly easy. Vaillant /Glow-worm group will enrol before they've even met you, whereas some, like WB simply look for volume sales to deem you competent.

The reason for this is that manufacturers need sh*t installers more than they need good ones because:

a) There's more of them.
b) They may work for less thus making a high priced boiler job competitive.
c) They're more likely to surrender their customers to the manufacturer for aftersales activity.
d) They are more willing to fit what the customer asks, making effective use of manufacturer's consumer advertising.

Some installers will want to own their customer for life, in some cases covering all their heating & plumbing needs and not just out flogging boiler changes. They're becoming less attractive to manufacturers.

Sponsored Links
In which case what's the best way to choose an installer? I've been unable to get a recommendation.

We're waiting for quotes from two engineers. One mentioned cleaning out each radiator separately over 2.5 days. We would have to manage without hot water. The other said something about adding some chemicals and leaving it for a day, then flushing everything out. We shouldn't have to go without hot water.

If we can manage without hot water by showering at work, which way of cleaning is best for our system?

Thanks.

4 rads, even cleaned manually, ie off the wall and flushed outside, a max of 3 hours.

2.5 da ys for a 4 rad flush!! Don't use that guy. Manually flushing the rads is ok at 30mins a rad but that doesn't clean the pipe work out.

I'd go for a powerflush which for 4 rads you not want to be paying for more than half a days labour.

As for the boiler, the possibilities are endless. Don't get a cheap one as it won't last and repair costs are silly.

Valliants are very good IMO followed by Worcesters.

Do you have a service agreement with British Gas? Did that quote include a flush and filters?

I think both of them meant 2 or 2.5 days to do the whole job including the cleaning. One of them mentioned using a manga clean filter. I just wondered which method was better over all.

The first guy recommended vaillant and intergas the second one mention worcester bosch, vaillant and baxi.

My husband has read about easicom/glow worm in the paper. Sounds like a cheap one to me. Any thoughts?

Ruby alot of people in London and surrounding area suffer from scale in the hot water this is what has caused the issue with your hot water due to the build up inside the boiler

make sure they install a cistermiser combimate or Aqua dial philphos filter
They both require one to change the philphos additive per year and this will avoid scale issues

The usaul electrolytic or magnetic 20 quid filters often fitted will not work and are as useful as an ash tray on a moped

We've got the first quote. Here are the highlights:

Power flush the system inclu each individual radiator. Add corrosion inhibitor.

Decommission existing boiler. Make good flue hole.

Run water main to and from the boiler inclu magnetic scale reducer.

Connect 22mm gas supply and test.

Honeywell CM927 wireless programmable thermostat.

Spirotap MB3 filter on the return pipe.

Vaillant Ecotec Plus 824. £2290 plus VAT

Intergas Combi Compact HRE 24/18. £2020 plus VAT.

Spirotap Magnabooster 2 £140 plus VAT.

All advice GRATEFULLY received!

Ruby.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back