Another which boiler topic - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

Long time lurker, been viewing this forum for years while googling for advice and help.

Now its my turn to ask for some help :)

Appreciate you probably get loads of these posts but any help would be much appreciated.

So we have recently moved into a house with its original boiler which is about 25 years old and is a standard setup.

Boiler: Apollo Fanfare 30-50s (i think)
Rads: 12 total inc 2 tall shower rails
Valves & Stat: Old Style, i.e. non TRV

The system has been serviced and maintained by BG for the last 10-12 years (apparently), despite this it is sluggish, I have had to shut 3 rads upstairs to get decent heat downstairs, even then the rads are warm.

With the system being so old, I am wary about spending significant money on something that may fail relatively soon.

So we are considering getting a new boiler and have spoken to both BG and a local approved fitter.

This is what I have specified:

Replacement Boiler
TRV on all Rads
Wireless Thermostat
Replacement Hot Water Tank (standard vented)

BG:

Specified a BG 330+ boiler, but are also happy to install a WB (exact model to be confirmed)

They also specified a power flush, inhibitor and magnaclean (or similar) system install as part of the setup.

BG provide a 2 year manufacturer warranty, plus an additional 8 years IF you pay for homecare

Price £3800 (with F&F 25% discount)

Local Indi (well regarded):

Specified either a WB 18ri or Vaillant Ecotec 418+

As with BT they also specified a power flush, inhibitor and magnaclean system install as part of the setup.

local indi, provide 7 years part & labour warranty, plus an additional 3 years from themselves, 10 years total.

Price, approximately £3800

So now I am confused...usually there is a big price difference and its an easier decision to make, but luckily due to a friend of ours working for BG we have a discount code available.

Also, looking at the prices, the Indi are charging approx £40 per TRV and £600 for the replacement tank...that does sound high to me, thoughts?

I have also read a lot of negative views of the BG 330+ boiler, so would be more inclined to go down the WB route...but we also may want a water softener installed at some point in the future.

Any advice or thoughts?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you've observed this forum for as long as you say, then you should have noticed how many times the 'which boiler' and 'fair price' questions end up with futile answers.

Sponsored Links
BG can 'push' their installers to get the work done in a set time, possibly resulting in short cuts. They replaced my parents boiler (The Old man has shares in BG so wouldn't entertain anyone else...), whilst it works, it is (IMO) a poor job. Several glaring errors on the HW cylinder installation alone, they insisted boiler went in downstairs WC (so you risk bashing your head now when getting up) and now several years later, there is a loud humming noise in certain areas of the house from the pump when system is running....

Independent has his reputation to think about, and call backs will cost him money!

So, bg are specifying a 30kw boiler to replace a 15kw.

Quality system design right there.

Are you doubling the size of your home in the next 8 years.

Muppets.

I think your independent guy has trumped them at the first hurdle with his eyes closed

Vaillant are a much better boiler than Worcester. Intergas are a better boiler than Vaillant imho. Although I will concede Vaillant have a more consistent warranty support.

Not that I have ever needed Intergas warranty support. Which is more than can be admitted for vaillant.

Cheers for the responses, good points and appreciated :)

I agree, more concerns than anything re BG. I also hear they favour Drayton products (TRVs etc) while the Indi has made it clear that they only fit Honeywell.

Any thoughts on price for the indi?

I am planning on getting another quote to compare.

Of course if you guys have any recommendations in Berks please feel free to let me know.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Your current independent seems to be doing well so far, although we can't see the scope of works. I've noticed BG are getting more competitive/desperate recently. Even been beaten once or twice on price alone. But, they send the sales boy round. Not the installer.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Your current independent seems to be doing well so far, although we can't see the scope of works. I've noticed BG are getting more competitive/desperate recently. Even been beaten once or twice on price alone. But, they send the sales boy round. Not the installer.

Sure, in fairness to BG the guy who came round was very knowledgeable (to my surprise), I was initially interested in getting an unvented cylinder and he checked the water pressure, saying that I needed 25 ltrs / minute or it wouldnt be ideal for the house. It turns out my mains pressure is around 19-20 ltrs / min, I was sceptical but did some googling.

He walked around the whole house, checked every room, every rad, the boiler, tank, roof / garden.

I think thats part of the problem with BG - its luck of the draw, you get a good guy and it works out, but as Hugh was saying you get a subbie who is being pushed to complete on time and they start cutting corners.

Not looking for the cheapest quote tbh, just someone and a company who comes across as knowledgeable.

I spoke to another guy today re the my current boiler woes (while requesting he give me a quote for the overhaul) and his level of knowledge and experience was exceptional, will definitely be getting a quote from him too.

Its such a massive job and so expensive, need to ensure it get done right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back