Installing a new boiler

the 330+ is made by Gloworm and is around £680 ish inc vat for the boiler itself.

its all very well saying the quote is expensive because its from BG, however notice the trace heater and the sealed system kit, perhaps the system is being sealed to avoid running new pipes through the house...........

My figure included those items but was based on the expectation of the boiler being £950 so fitting a GlowWorm would bring mine down to about £1600.

Having said that I would suggest my original price for a Viessmann with a five year warrantee.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Any idiot can work for "nothing", personally I prefer to enjoy my hobby rather than work for nothing, if "working is a hobby" for some, well whatever floats your boat, but a bit sad.

Tony are you really saying you would fit the boiler with a power flush and trace heating on the condense for £1750??
The BG price the OP stated is im guessing a bottom line figure to pay, so is inclusive of VAT,

ie £3158 = £2631+VAT

id say that was fairly reasonable.

Sponsored Links
why do they need a trace heater? How about install the condense correctly? or have Bg given up on this idea ? Too difficult for them I guess.
They're not doing a powerflush either its a powercleanse, = 3hrs max.
its a normal price for Bg, but an independant would be much less.

mickyg trace heat is standard now too many condstate pipe freeze
standard for bg maybe because they dont know what 40mm waste pipe looks like, nor do they like lifting floorboards to run internal condense. Just another way to cover up their bodges, same as the magnacleans were brought in cos they cant powerflush properly.

powercleanse is about 45 mins using the powerflush machine with all rads open, powerflush is each rad in turn several hours etc

homecare 200 covers the whole central heating system, another important factor when comparing "like for like" quotes.

Why does one need trace heating on the condensate.

If the boiler carries two year warrenty, why is there a need for homecare 200.

If the work is done by someone who is dilligent, why should the 'whole' system need to be taken care of?

If the installer is going to complete the benchmark logbook and is going to service the boiler after it is installed, good chance the instal will be good too.

homecare 200 covers the whole central heating system, another important factor when comparing "like for like" quotes.
Presuming for the moment that the install is done to spec, including proper flushing and pressure testing, I don't think the chances a rad or cylinder starts leaking within two years, is really huge. :rolleyes:
Given the choice between 2 years warrantee on all, or 5 years on the boiler, I'd take the latter any day.

Well in London I would be quoting about £1750 and that would include a basic programmable thermostat !
Op, why don't you get Tony to do it? it would still work out to be cheaper to pay him travel time, meals and put him in a hotel than it would get someone local to do the work, which always amazes me how Tone is so cheap living in London, and you being in yorkshire.......

On the upside you will get a 'expert' , but , it will take him 2 weeks, but it will be done right.......

Well in London I would be quoting about £1750 and that would include a basic programmable thermostat !
Op, why don't you get Tony to do it? it would still work out to be cheaper to pay him travel time, meals and put him in a hotel than it would get someone local to do the work, which always amazes me how Tone is so cheap living in London, and you being in yorkshire.......

On the upside you will get a 'expert' , but , it will take him 2 weeks, but it will be done right.......

What someone "says" on an internet forum, for a job they "haven't seen", is one thing, what they charge in real life is something different, plus getting them back when things go wrong when there was no money in the job in the first place, is something different again, there will "always" be some clever dick come along and do a Harry Enfield impression, "ooohh you don't want to do it like that, you want to do it like this" CRASHHHHHHHH

Presuming for the moment that the install is done to spec, including proper flushing and pressure testing, I don't think the chances a rad or cylinder starts leaking within two years, is really huge. :rolleyes:
Given the choice between 2 years warrantee on all, or 5 years on the boiler, I'd take the latter any day.

and in that situation, if a central heating pump/zone valve/thermostat/programmer/rad valve/existing fitting on pipework failed or developed a fault and you were happy to pay for those repairs yourself, fair enough!

just because an installation "probably wont" have a problem doesnt mean theres not value in the cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back