Vaillant ecoTec plus 637 OR British Gas 330+ ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler has finally packed up and it needs replacing. I am on a BG contract and they are offering discount but I am not sure the boiler they are offering is good.

The exiting boiler is a Gloworm 120. I have megaflo and one of those red expansion vessels.

It is a large 5 bed house with 18 radiators (some very large and some tiny).
I had BG round a year ago and they gave me a silly quote for Worcester Bosch 40CDI (boiler cost £1,600) but total bill £5800 incl various flushing etc etc.

This time BG have suggested a British Gas 330+ boiler (£800) + replacement cost of £1,700, Customisation etc £500. As I am under a maintenance contract I have been offered a discount of £700, making a total of £2,300. This comes with a year's free cover which saves me about £300. So net cost £2,000

A local tradesman suggest Vaillant Eco Tec Plus System 637 system boiler (£1,200) + £700 to install. This is nearly the same.

Question - I am suspicious that BG boiler at £800 is much inferior? Given that they suggested a more expensive boiler last time.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Need to make a decision today.

Sponsored Links
Bg 330+ is basically a rebadged gloworm ultracom.

Gloworm are made by vaillant anyway.

Hope this puts your mind at rest

Thanks Rich4Nancy. SO basically, there is nothing to choose between them. I might as well go with BG.

Only output tbh. Vaillant 37kw, bg 30kw. Without actually seeing your property it's hard to say but based on the amount of rads you have I would suggest 40/37 kw is overkill. In fact 30kw could be on the large side. You would have to calculate your rad requirements to be more accurate.

Sponsored Links
What parts and labour warranty comes with your new BG boiler? They're giving you a free years cover? The boiler is under manufacturers warranty, surely? I love the way BG make it sound like a bargain when it's not. Discounting £700 on a £3000 install is something I'd like to do all year round.
I'd give you a years payment free maintenance too. It's called a manufacturer's warranty.

Get 3 quotes, then have a new boiler fitted by a reputable independent RGI, and cancel your maintenance contract with BG, until your 2 year manufacturers warranty expires on the new boiler. You've just saved £600, bought a better boiler, and had it installed by someone who isn't overcharging.

By the way, I believe the Vaillant Ecotec plus 637 system boiler comes with 7 years parts and labour warranty.

Now you've saved over £2000 in maintenance contract costs alone, put the money to one side every month, and it will pay for annual servicing with enough left over to buy a new boiler at the end of the warranty.

FYI the 330+ is actually a Glowworm Flexicom with a Ultracom type display panel. Flexicom is a decent boiler but obviously cheaper than a Vaillant. 37kw sounds way over the top for your needs. Oversizing boilers is bad for efficiency.....that said both quotes seem very reasonable.

I would suggest 40/37 kw is overkill. In fact 30kw could be on the large side. You would have to calculate your rad requirements to be more accurate.
Use the Whole House Boiler Size Calculator to find out what size boiler you really need.

The rads should add up to 20%, or more, than this. They will then run at a lower temperature and still give the required output. The boiler will also be more efficient as it will condense more. You can find rad outputs by using the first table in Stelrad Elite Catalogue. (Very little difference between manufacturers.)

What parts and labour warranty comes with your new BG boiler? They're giving you a free years cover? The boiler is under manufacturers warranty, surely? I love the way BG make it sound like a bargain when it's not.

The BG contract, unlike a manufacturer's warrenty, will also cover rads, cylinder and heating pipework, (I'm not saying which is better value just making it clear what you get for your money)

10kw is not a great turn down ratio especially if using TRV's and advance controls IMO.

Was impressed by the new ideal that is 1:6 turndown. I would look elsewhere than BG and also remember most warranties require you to have an annual service to be honoured (or at least the small print says this)

What parts and labour warranty comes with your new BG boiler? They're giving you a free years cover? The boiler is under manufacturers warranty, surely? I love the way BG make it sound like a bargain when it's not. Discounting £700 on a £3000 install is something I'd like to do all year round.
I'd give you a years payment free maintenance too. It's called a manufacturer's warranty.

Get 3 quotes, then have a new boiler fitted by a reputable independent RGI, and cancel your maintenance contract with BG, until your 2 year manufacturers warranty expires on the new boiler. You've just saved £600, bought a better boiler, and had it installed by someone who isn't overcharging.

By the way, I believe the Vaillant Ecotec plus 637 system boiler comes with 7 years parts and labour warranty.

Now you've saved over £2000 in maintenance contract costs alone, put the money to one side every month, and it will pay for annual servicing with enough left over to buy a new boiler at the end of the warranty.

BG offer a years free homecare.

This includes the whole system (megaflow, rads, pipe work....) not just the boiler. Also includes free 24/365 call out. Not gonna get that on a manufactures warranty.

The 330 + can be range rated from 10 - 30 kw so will not be oversized,and can be useful if further rads are fitted.
But you don't know what the actual requirement is.

I have visited new 5-bed houses which only have a 15kW boiler, due to the very good insulation required in new-builds. If a 330+ was installed, there would be a turn-down ratio of 1.5, so the boiler would go into on/off mode when the outside temperature was above about 6°C; i.e. most of the year.

The 330 + can be range rated from 10 - 30 kw so will not be oversized,and can be useful if further rads are fitted.

Merely being range rated does not deal with the oversizing that means when the heat requirements are less than 10 kW the boiler is forced to use on/off modulation which is inefficient.

If a boiler is correctly sized then it will have a turn down ratio of 3:1 typically.

If the 18 rads emit say 18 kW which would be typical for a five bed house then a boiler with a minimum of 6 kW would be easily achievable. With carefully selected models a lower minimum output could be found.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back