Installing a new boiler

I wanted to see what state it was in and when I found it was shot I decided to replace it. I could have called BG in but as I had it off and the plumbers merchant is just round the corner I thought what the hell I'll do it myself.

Sponsored Links
Op, why don't you get Tony to do it? it would still work out to be cheaper to pay him travel time, meals and put him in a hotel than it would get someone local to do the work, which always amazes me how Tone is so cheap living in London, and you being in yorkshire.......

I know a London landlord who gets an unregistered installer from Leeds to install boilers for her because thats cheaper. Leeds installers only charge about £250 even if they are registered.

Oddly that landlord is German and I would have expected that she would have insisted on using somebody who is registered.

I also saw another home with a German owned ( in London ) where all the work was being done ( to an industrial standard ) but unregistered installers/bilders brought over from Germany. All managed by a man with a strong Yorkshire accent but who was also fluent in German ( from father ).

EDIT in case anyone disputes the price, my first search came up with:-

Cheap Plumbing and Heating services to suit your needs and budget!

***** Boiler fitting from £300 ******

NO CALL OUT FEES!
NO MARK UP ON MATERIALS!
BEST TRADE DISCOUNTS ON BOILERS AND PARTS!

Second edit ( note price INCLUDES the boiler! ):-

Below is a list of regularly fitted boilers and the price you see is the total fitted price.

Also we will register your new appliance with local building control / Gas Safe and you will recieve a certificate stating that the installation is fully compliant with the latest building regulations.

Our aim is to give you complete peace of mind and satisfaction from start to finish, and beyond.

We feel that we are the cheapest boiler installer and cheapest central heating fitter in the Leeds area if you find anybody cheaper we will match their price and give you an extra £10 off the price.

Glowworm Betacom 24

Come with one years manufacturers parts and labour warranty and is a Sedbuk band B rated appliance £799 more details click here.

Tony

Yes, thankfully the housing bubble has burst and the rip off prices have gone with it. Back so sensible prices which ordinary people can afford. We are not all plumbers you know!

Now that you have changed the valve, BG could charge you for removing your balls! as in the terms and conditions it says we will not cover third party interference!.

Sponsored Links
Yes, thankfully the housing bubble has burst and the rip off prices have gone with it. Back so sensible prices which ordinary people can afford. We are not all plumbers you know!
Stupid and pointless comment. Anymore like that young lady and you can stand in the corner facing away from the rest of the class.

Op, why don't you get Tony to do it? it would still work out to be cheaper to pay him travel time, meals and put him in a hotel than it would get someone local to do the work, which always amazes me how Tone is so cheap living in London, and you being in yorkshire.......

I know a London landlord who gets an unregistered installer from Leeds to install boilers for her because thats cheaper. Leeds installers only charge about £250 even if they are registered.

Oddly that landlord is German and I would have expected that she would have insisted on using somebody who is registered.

I also saw another home with a German owned ( in London ) where all the work was being done ( to an industrial standard ) but unregistered installers/bilders brought over from Germany. All managed by a man with a strong Yorkshire accent but who was also fluent in German ( from father ).

EDIT in case anyone disputes the price, my first search came up with:-

Cheap Plumbing and Heating services to suit your needs and budget!

***** Boiler fitting from £300 ******

NO CALL OUT FEES!
NO MARK UP ON MATERIALS!
BEST TRADE DISCOUNTS ON BOILERS AND PARTS!

Second edit ( note price INCLUDES the boiler! ):-

Below is a list of regularly fitted boilers and the price you see is the total fitted price.

Also we will register your new appliance with local building control / Gas Safe and you will recieve a certificate stating that the installation is fully compliant with the latest building regulations.

Our aim is to give you complete peace of mind and satisfaction from start to finish, and beyond.

We feel that we are the cheapest boiler installer and cheapest central heating fitter in the Leeds area if you find anybody cheaper we will match their price and give you an extra £10 off the price.

Glowworm Betacom 24

Come with one years manufacturers parts and labour warranty and is a Sedbuk band B rated appliance £799 more details click here.

Tony

This is from my website i think.
You need to be cheap in Leeds to get any work.
http://www.cheapcentralheating.co.uk/

We cannot fit the betacom anymore ,We are now fitting the Ideal Independent for people who want the cheapest job possible.

bg 330+ is a rebadged glow worm...sure he didnt say the 532 thats a worcester

without getting drawn into an argument (which is what seems to happen in every thread on this forum), I meant that if the customer is happy with that situation then thats what matters. If self employed RGI's want to add £250 onto their quotation and extend the boiler guarantee to cover all components on the central heating then that too is fair enough.

my point was simply that people are too fast to rip into a BG quote without realising whats actually included.

hence my amazement that someone can offer an equivalent quotation for £1650 or whatever it was
I worked for BG for many years as an engineer and then i moved into sales .I know the prices and i now work for myself and can see that the prices are very high for what you get.
BG engineers do not get much time to do the job correctly and i feel that i can do a much better job at half the price.
BG engineers times get cut and this could result in the customer not getting the best job.
Some customer will buy from BG no matter what the price is.

Thanks for all the posts. I had a meeting with the BG Service manager yesterday and she agreed that the heat exchanger is at fault and BG will replace it under my Homecare 400 cover. She apologized fro the delay in them diagnosing the problem at it is going to be fixed tomorrow.

I also feel more clued up on the type of boiler I need when this one gives up the ghost completely. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back