another Worcester problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help. At my wit's end, and yes, I've read and re-read all previous forum questions here and elsewhere! Worcester 28cdi combi natural gas boiler, approx. 6 years old. Has been losing pressure, ERRATICALLY, since we moved into the house (a 3 storey modern terrace) in April this year. A note the previous owners left in the Worcester manual would indicate the problem goes back further ("Open small grey knob under boiler to top up pressure as required.")
On the first of now 6 visits (I haven't paid a thing yet) the c/h engineers said, "PRV". I said it wasn't, as the external overflow showed no sign of wet at all. They then changed it. Twice. Still no sign of wet, and problem remained. They then said, "Heat exchanger". I said that the pressure only goes up on the dial by half a bar from the preset 1 bar. No problems reported from their stripping and checking the H/Ex. Next is the expansion vessel. Pressure still does not go up more than half a bar. Checked, pressure OK and put back. Problem remains. Pressure guage checked against engineer's master. OK. Next stab in the dark is "a leak on the C/H system" (there are no pipes hidden in walls or underground in concrete). No leaks found, but a tube of leak sealer added to the system for good measure. Problem still exists. Now what? The engineers are scratching their heads and licking their wounds at the moment, but the blasted pressure still drops, and I must emphasise this, it does so erratically. It can stay up at one bar for a week or more sometimes, and at other times it can drop to zero overnight. It's the same with C/H on or off, ie. with just HW ready for use.
Thoughts or, much more accurately, me grasping at straws-does the fact it's a three storey tall narrow house with the boiler on the top floor mean anything? Is it correct that the HW red light also comes on when the C/H is switched on, either manually or on the timer? (not the "in use" indicator, just the "on" one.)
Our mains water (checked by the engineer) is about 2.5 bar. If you calculate how many times I've topped it up and how much water has "disappeared", it just doesn't seem feasible that there's an undiscovered leak somewhere, especially as the pipework and rads are all so inspectable. The engineer suggested at one stage that having leaked out, all this water could be sitting betweeen floors waiting to enter when the plasterboard eventually gives way, but there is absolutely no sign or smell of damp anywhere, and we have left the house for two months during the summer. PLease help. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
look underneath the boiler and see if there is a pipe going to a drain, do the instructions say greenstar ?

Sponsored Links
I have a central heating drain off cock that passes through the external wall and is operated from the outside, for easy drain off. It is situated where no third party can see it, ie neighbours etc. What I'm getting at is.........you haven't got one where some bloody minded person has opened and closed it on purpose.

pure guess as you seem to have covered everything else, it could be a crack in the plate heat exchanger, 2.5 bar at ground level would equal about 1.5 at your boiler level, if the mains pressure drops for any reason the system water would leak into the cold water supply.

pure guess as you seem to have covered everything else, it could be a crack in the plate heat exchanger, 2.5 bar at ground level would equal about 1.5 at your boiler level, if the mains pressure drops for any reason the system water would leak into the cold water supply.

I forgot to mention that on one occasion the engineer took out the filling loop locking key and placed a bowl underneath overnight, to see if it did leak back. The bowl was bone dry the next morning.
I should mention the fact that the engineers are not some fly by night operation, and I've used them for years, but they do seem really stuck with this problem. It's the erratic and completely random rate of leakage that I can't understand. Do you think a crack in the H/Ex would display these variations? Or any other potential leak, come to that?
Thanks for your help.

Best I can suggest is to put a strong food dye in the central heating system and see if there is any trace of it in the cold water supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back