Another Yale 6400 question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Fitted a Yale premium alarm kit at the weekend (well ran out of light before fitting the decoy box!), felt very pleased with ourselves.

I have a question about the "entry" device. If the entry device has been activated, if you then activate a burglar device before you reach the control panel to disarm, will the full burglar alarm then go off, even though you are in the 20sec countdown?

Reason being that with no mains socket in the hall and no wiring/electrical knowledge, we fitted the control panel just inside the lounge. The front door is the entry device, but the PIR in the lounge will usually be activated when taking a step into the lounge to disarm the panel.

At the moment I have made the lounge PIR also an entry device to avoid sounding the siren (did not think to test this until after a sociable hour!), but ideally I would like to make it a home omit device.

Can I do this without setting off the siren every time I set foot in the lounge to disarm the system?

(I guess keyfobs would solve the problem but with being burgled we are watching the pennies at the moment!)

Thanks very much helpful people!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Not fitted one of these myself and so best to call Yale helpdesk for further advice in the first instance. But generally, the signal generated by an entry device will start the timer, however any burglar device (as you call it) will activate the alarm when tripped when the system is armed EVEN DURING THE COUNTDOWN period.

The best and easiest option appears to be a remote control for your unit.
But as you say the control panel is 'just inside the lounge', consider whether moving the lounge sensor to another corner will solve the problem if can be hidden from the sensor by the lounge door whilst at the keypad?

You may still be able to pull off this trick if you mask off part of the lens from the inside with white insulation tape (..but you must fully test remaining coverage area fully if you go down this route as you only want a small area by the panel to be unprotected).

As you mention a remote keypad or keyfobs would solve the problem.
I have installed many (hundreds) of these alarms and in your scenario I would place a remote keypad by the entry door as you only need to use the control panel to reset the system after an alarm activation.
Why do you want to have a lounge device as a home omit?
Usually a lounge sensor would be a burglar device. It is normally landing sensors that are home omit.

Home omit devices are zones that aren't included when you use the orange (part set) button. I can't think of a logical use for this in a lounge scenario.

The other option depending on where you have sited the control panel is to position it where it 'can't see' you come in to turn the alarm off. As mentioned that can be done by masking the IR sensor but I would suggest not masking it but placing the sensor so its 110 degree field of view would not pick you up. So rather than in the corner of a room it could be along a wall (on a temporary basis only of course as you may also have inadvertently created a blind spot where the room can be entered and left again without activating the system.)
It is better to use a remote keypad in any case as this puts the control panel in a protected zone so the alarm would activate if anyone wanted to tamper with the control panel. Your protecting it from a pirs view means the panel could be tampered with before the alarm had activated.
Perhaps if someone entered upstairs and came down through the hall without therefore activating any door contacts.

Thanks for the advice. Just typed out a long reply but then it disappeared. So short version! Planned to have only door and window contacts on home arm, because our bathroom is downstairs and often used overnight. We weren't really even planning to use home arm function; it's the daytime protection we really need. But I'm thinking I will use it in the evenings when its only me in the house; so would need to be able to move around down and up stairs.
Think we will get a remote keypad eventually. Little concerned about possible repercussions of having keys, address (on driving licence) and alarm keyfob all together- unfortunately have had my handbag pinched in the past- so will probably avoid the fobs.

Thanks again both!

Sponsored Links
remote keypad is better as you need the code to unset the alarm.
keyfobs not too bad with a 6400 system as you can't unset the alarm unless you first open the entry door and the system is timing down. So someone finding your address and fob would still need a key for the door.

As for not arming the whole of downstairs.

I would still arm all the sensors at night as you can take the keypad upstairs with you and disarm the alarm before you go down.
This doesn't work with keyfobs however as they won't disarm the system unless the entry device is triggered first. (A failsafe to prevent the fobs being used to disable the alarm from anywhere if they are found on your drive for instance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back