Anti-rust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know what the liquid which you put into radiators to prevent rust is called? We've just had a new radiator added and the plumber who came in drained all the radiators and said he would come back to put this anti-rust back into the system, but he has not returned, and I am trying to see if I can do this myself. Anyone any ideas how I can do this?

Sponsored Links
Corrosion inhibitor. Made by several companies, Fernox, Kamco, Tower, Sentinel, Purimanchos (or some such spelling). Available at B&Q, Homebase, Builders merchants, Plumbers merchants.

The chemical is some molybdate compound.

To get it in do you have a sealed system, or a tank in the loft with a normal hot water cylinder?

If the latter, tie the ballcok up in the header tank, drain a couple of bucket fuls from the system, pour corrosion inhibitor into tank and release the ballcock. Lastly bleed the radiators and any other bleed points you can find.

If it's a sealed system, let me know, it's not quite so easy.

I think I have a sealed system, just a combi boiler where the radiators are connected to

Ah, you will need the expensive version of the corrosion inhibitor which can be connected into a rediator bleed valve. I hope it has the detailed instructions as I've never used one.

The general approach is to release the boiler pressure, shut both valves on a radiator, and unnscrew the bleed valve.
Screw the inhibitor cartridge in,
open one valve,
squeeze the inhibitor in to the radiator,
shut valve,
unscrew cartridge,
screw in bleed valve,
open radiator valves,
pressurise system,
run heating system.

I think the inhibitor cartridge costs about £25.

Sponsored Links
i saw something like that ina superstore the other day, except in the picture they appeared to be "injecting it in"

Just done mine the other day,the fernox injector inhibitor cartridge have a flexible thinner hose on the end which you push the products thru' the bleed valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back