Anti syphon valve - should it stop "gurgling"?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a new homeowner and learning basic plumbing. I've just carried out my first successful piece of work - I replaced the smelly old sink trap in the kitchen with a new trap. No leaks (so far!), and I think I can count it as a success!

When I replaced the trap, I chose a McAlpine Trap with an Anti-syphon valve, as I thought, why not - I'll spend 10 quid extra from the 100 I just saved by not needing a plumber and treat myself to the valve!

I had the impression that anti-syphon traps would stop the trap making gurgling noises when the appliances drain, however, this has not happened. The appliances still gurgle when they drain. My question is, have I misunderstood what the anti-syphon trap should do (and the gurgling is normal) or could I have not set it up correctly?

Is there anything you need to do with a brand new anti-syphon trap to "activate" it?

In case it is relevant - here is the trap I bought - the WM11V

https://mcalpineplumbing.com/traps/...ccessories/wm11-sink-trap-twin-135deg-nozzles

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Sponsored Links
Thanks! The drain drains outside (yes - I know this is not good practice) and I can see the water flow out the pipe. It seems to flow out quickly without obstructions. Could there still be a blockage causing the gurgling?

I should add that the reason I replaced the trap is that the sink has been a bit smelly, and the bit of the drain that I cleaned when I replaced the trap (all I could reach) did have gunk in it.

If I wanted to clean the rest of the pipe (it bends) what equipment would I need? Happy to put the elbow grease in for a well functioning and gurgle and smell-free sink!

To add some more info, when I drain the sink now, it is pretty much gurgle-free. Only the appliances gurgle when they drain.

Sponsored Links
That's a WM11 and I can't find a WM11V on their website:unsure:

The WM11V doesn't get its own page:
" Available as Anti-Syphon (Silentrap). Add suffix "V" to product code"

It's quite obscure. Wolseley were the only supplier I could find for it!

OK fair enough - it's got the little air inlet standing up on the trap ? Then it should be anti syphon. Can you post a pic. of the installation.

gurgling is more a venting issue not blockage.

post a photo of under the sink.
whats dischargin into the trap - a D/W an W/M? typicaly w/m's can sometimes cause gurling an a bit of foam at the waste but its no big eal.

sometimes fittin a AAV in a branch on the trap arm just before it goes into the wall will help.

If other appliances gurgle
gurgling is more a venting issue not blockage.

post a photo of under the sink.
whats dischargin into the trap - a D/W an W/M? typicaly w/m's can sometimes cause gurling an a bit of foam at the waste but its no big eal.

sometimes fittin a AAV in a branch on the trap arm just before it goes into the wall will help.
Will a blockage not cause siphoning then nowadays ?

Well, I’m pleased to tell you you are not a plumber.
Rotate the spigots 90 degrees and take the flexible hoses as high as possible in the cupboard and secure them. Then connect back onto the spigots.
Simples!

Thanks. That's useful advice.

Haha! I installed the spigots exactly as they with in the trap that I replaced!

By 90 degrees you mean that the spigots point left and right rather than forward and backwards?

I am aware that the waste hoses from the appliances are not well installed - there is no high loop - but to fix it I need to drill new holes in the kitchen units for the hoses - I can't secure them high as there is a silly butler sink in the way!

OK - so spigots pointing upward? I've done that, and it still gurgles unfortunately!

Ah well. Looking forward to the day when I re-do the kitchen and can give the appliances their own pipes to the drain.

You have a blocked pipe then try sulphuric acid and follow the instructions carefully.
Available from plumbers merchants. You will need Id if you don’t have an account.
Be careful!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back