Anti syphon valve - should it stop "gurgling"?

Sponsored Links
It terminates outside the house after about 3m of pipe - and is misconnected into the rainwater drain - so sulphuric acid down it would probably kill local wildlife. :(

A good scrub with a drain snake might do the trick?

Acid is fine. Fully biodegradable. Probably find it’s a fat buildup in the pipe.
Soap powder causes issues too. Use a liquid if you currently use powder.

Sponsored Links
as above, dont use anythin acid. you OP as a DIY'er or even a plumber comin to mess with that set up might get an acid splash esp from any blockage residue.

there could be some blockage esp in the D/W discharge hose but given the long waste run an the droopin hoses it still looks like a ventin issue - even nowadays i dont think gravity has changed, maybe you got better info?

It terminates outside the house after about 3m of pipe - and is misconnected into the rainwater drain - so sulphuric acid down it would probably kill local wildlife. :(

A good scrub with a drain snake might do the trick?

Well if it's connected into the rainwater drain, that needs checking to see if this is permitted in your area.

As for the internal setup... Get those appliance hoses up higher and dropping down to the spigots; change the black 90° elbow (off the back of the trap) to 2 x 135° elbows with a bit of pipe in between, to create a large radius bend; and... there is what looks like overflow pipe connecting into the vertical section of black waste pipe at the back of the unit! I presume this is the condense from your boiler? Regardless, it is not a proper connection and the 20mm overflow will be protruding into the vertical pipe and creating a snag for waste material. If it is condense from boiler, there should be an air gap provision between it and the boiler. Get that connection and run checked out/changed.

Sulphuric acid is a unique chemical because it not only causes chemical burns, but also secondary thermal burns as a result of dehydration. This dangerous chemical is capable of corroding skin, paper, metals, and even stone in some cases. If sulfuric acid makes direct contact with the eyes, it can cause permanent blindness.

Apart from above it will also ruin a stainless sink.

Andy

Sulphuric acid is a unique chemical because it not only causes chemical burns, but also secondary thermal burns as a result of dehydration. This dangerous chemical is capable of corroding skin, paper, metals, and even stone in some cases. If sulfuric acid makes direct contact with the eyes, it can cause permanent blindness.

Apart from above it will also ruin a stainless sink.

Andy

It can be a band-aid on a broken bone, but does have its uses in certain situations, if used properly. I'm glad to say that I've recently witnessed my local counter refuse sale of it on 3 occasions, due to recent legislation, to members of the great unwashed (literally ;)).

Hey Andy... What's the first thing you ask a customer when called out to a blocked drain? :sneaky: Coz they damn well never tell you unprompted :cautious:

I always ask if they have used any chemicals, if they say yes I then ask where they have bought it from. If the answer is from Tesco/Asda or the like, I then ask if they have used any acid bought from a plumbers merchant and can they show me the container. I then explain that the acid they buy over the counter is the same acid that people are throwing over each other, then they are shocked to say 'really, is that the stuff they use'.

What makes me laugh is when you go into a bathroom with toddlers in the house to see a bottle of One shot sitting on the floor.

Andy

Exactamundo!
You only get one shot :eek:

Sometimes the deflection in a length of waste pipe is enough of a giveaway as to what they've been doing :LOL:

Thanks Dilalio,

You’ve just given me a game plan for my next 6 months of plumbing projects!

That’s really helpful and I wish the plumbers I could hire were as perfectionist.

Interesting comments about the boiler run-off pipe. That’s a new install by a plumber with a good reputation!

Well if it's connected into the rainwater drain, that needs checking to see if this is permitted in your area.

As for the internal setup... Get those appliance hoses up higher and dropping down to the spigots; change the black 90° elbow (off the back of the trap) to 2 x 135° elbows with a bit of pipe in between, to create a large radius bend; and... there is what looks like overflow pipe connecting into the vertical section of black waste pipe at the back of the unit! I presume this is the condense from your boiler? Regardless, it is not a proper connection and the 20mm overflow will be protruding into the vertical pipe and creating a snag for waste material. If it is condense from boiler, there should be an air gap provision between it and the boiler. Get that connection and run checked out/changed.

It's not technically a big no-no... But it could be done better, especially if you are trying to resolve the issues you mention with your sink waste. First thing would be to get those appliance hoses up higher... They will carrying all sorts of gunge and this will run backwards towards each appliance when the pumps stop and will settle at the bottom of the hoses, eventually causing blockages and killing the pumps. If you have access to a wet vac, put this on the end of each hose and suck the crap out... You'll be amazed at both the muck and the stench! Then get them modified.

As to the appliances - worth getting a dishwasher cleaner bottle and run the machine with it. The washing machine run on a 95 degree wash with nothing in it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back