Antique pine door - repaired crack - sanded area now lighter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have an old Victorian house with the original internal doors (thats about all that is original!).

The door to the front room had two cracked panels which I filled and then carefully tried to sand flat.

Careful I may have been but I have still slightly sanded the door in places. At these places gone is the deep pine colour, and instead it reveal a much lighter 'stripe' where the crack was.

What is the best way to get this darker.
It feels like it needs moisture so I was thinking something like a sparing amount of Danish Oil or similar?

I dont really want to stain or varnish as I fear it will leave the door all kinds of different colours.

Must have happened before so hoping someone may be able to assist me in sugesting a way to rectify this?

...typical isnt it, doors are (believed to be) around 100 years old then I go and ruin them!! Pah! :cry:

Sponsored Links
just leave it 'it will take about 2 years for the suntan to catch up if you tone it down in the short term it will eventualy tone down darker

it sounds like you have sanded off some of the finish, what are they finished with?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back