Anxious about wall and partition

Kon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a new home (1930s semi) and keep finding things to worry me. I wonder if anyone can advise on the issue below.

There is an interior solid wall, presumably brick and load-bearing. It seems to be slightly uneven / out of plumb -- see the picture with the spirit level. I am very worried about this.

https://imgur.com/a/nJXnGVm

I wonder why it is happening. Is it likely to have to do with previous owners who completed building works -- double door partition between kitchen / living room, chimney breast removal, concrete roof tiles that impose a heavier loading. We weren't able to get building regulations for these (and I'm not even sure that my solicitor asked for them).

Please look at the picture of the partition -- should there be evidence of an RSJ here?

I had a Homebuyers Survey done. They advised: "an opening has been formed in the partition wall between the reception room and the kitchen. Whilst there is no evidence of significant cracking to the areas adjacent it is not possible to conform that adequate support is
provided. Your legal advisor should verify that local authority approvals were obtained for alteration."

"The chimney breast appears partly removed. Whist there are no signs of inadequacy, e.g cracking it is not possible to determine if adequate supports are provided. Your legal adviser should ensure that local authority approval has been obtained for the alterations."

"There is some distortion and cracking evident to the purlins but this is not felt to be of significance at this stage. It should be noted that the tiles are not original to the property and therefore will impose a greater loading. Although any distortion to the roof structure is not felt significant currently, it is recommended the timbers are monitored and if you should note further distortion further investigations will be required."

Sponsored Links
The 12" measured don't look out of plumb to me.

Probably a crap plasterer.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kon
Can anyone tell me if the building work around the partition wall and the chimney looks OK?

Should I expect to see evidence of a RSJ externally, or a lintel? or would I need to look behind the plaster?

Sponsored Links
t seems to be slightly uneven / out of plumb -- see the picture with the spirit level. I am very worried about this.

A longer level is needed to get much of an idea.

Is your level......er level? (Place it on a surface, see where the bubble is, rotate level 180° bubble should be exact same place.

That bit of not quite vertical isn't anything to stress about. What is above that wall?
As for the rest, can't see it so can't comment

If there are cracks and they are increasing over time then you should worry. If it's just a wonky wall it isn't going to collapse because it's wonky.

• Thanks
You should see my 1947 house. Bricks used on their sides for dividing walls, tops of door frames sloping in different angles, door frames of different widths...

As said unless there are cracks or clear evidence of something moving then I don't see need to worry. Every house I've been to of this age has questionable workmanship. Put some shelving up in the father-in-law's house a few months back and the roof purlins were tilted to an angle of around 60 degrees.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back