Any advice for a Thermalite Virgin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just planning a project in my loft using Ytong, aka Thermalite. It's a 40-year old place abroad with a concrete floor and the previous owner left enough block to finish all, or the vast majority, of what I've got in mind.

Basically, I'm going to put up some upright walls about 3 block-heights tall, so around 75cm, and then lay some OSB on top to form storage cubicles underneath and shelving/work surface on top. I'm thinking/hoping that I can vacuum up a few decades of dust from the floor and then put a slightly wet mix of cement to bed the bottom blocks. Then I plan to use a 2-4mm layer of cement for the upper blocks.

Not having used the blocks before, can I get away with just using 3 blocks per "pier" or would a double layer be more stable - obviously I don't waste a toppling-domino effect to amuse my wife but I also don't want to waste space or blocks.

Any thoughts or advice very welcome....

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back