Any advice on the correct mix for patio pointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wonder if any one can help with the correct mix for patio pointing? We had a new patio laid about four months ago and within a couple of weeks a lot of the pointing had raised and cracked. We got the builders back to re-point it and the same thing has happened again. Looks like I need to do it myself but there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice out there.

Any one able to help with a tried and trusted mix?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
The reason its coming back out is because the paving it sucking all the water out of the morter. What you need to do is seal he patio before you point it with patio sealer and then it wont suck out all the water. im no expert on patios but that is what I plan on doing to my patio.

Sponsored Links
Talk of sealers is a red herring. Its most likely caused by either a) the slabs are moving or b) the hot weather (or even mildly sunny weather) is causing it to dry too quickly or c) they used a dry mix brushed in, which will always fail.

Solutions:
a) fix the slabs first
b) do the pointing and they cover with sheets or better still do it late afternoon and be prepared to sprinkle with water
c) do it right

d) get them to come and pick the right solution

Talk of sealers is a red herring. Its most likely caused by either a) the slabs are moving or b) the hot weather (or even mildly sunny weather) is causing it to dry too quickly or c) they used a dry mix brushed in, which will always fail.

Solutions:
a) fix the slabs first
b) do the pointing and they cover with sheets or better still do it late afternoon and be prepared to sprinkle with water
c) do it right

d) get them to come and pick the right solution

Sealer might not be a solution but I will try it when I get round to pointing my slabs.

You don't want to use a sealer. You want the mortar to get sucked to the paving stone. If it is drying out too quickly soak with a hose to wet the stones. Let the surface dry, then mortar. If really hot, after mortaring, get a small hand held sprayer and lightly spray the joints every hour or so to replace evaporating water. Covering the pointed area with sacking or similar will also prevent the mortar drying out too quickly.

You don't want to use a sealer. You want the mortar to get sucked to the paving stone. If it is drying out too quickly soak with a hose to wet the stones. Let the surface dry, then mortar. If really hot, after mortaring, get a small hand held sprayer and lightly spray the joints every hour or so to replace evaporating water. Covering the pointed area with sacking or similar will also prevent the mortar drying out too quickly.

Ok thanks I won't bother with sealer.

I am confused - it wasn't you asking the question Lecco :confused: !

I am confused - it wasn't you asking the question Lecco :confused: !

Yeah but I was going to try sealer on my project im on with when I get to pointing as the last patio I laid I was having the same problem as the op.

Ah that explains - cheers!

Try and keep it covered from the sun to prevent it drying out too quickly.

Use 3 plastering sand to 1 cement. Basically make it as wet as possible without making a mess. A drier mix won't stain but a wetter mix makes a stronger mortar so its a trade off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back