Any advice would be fantastic please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I just did not know where to post this so sorry if it's in the wrong place.

I really need advice on conservatories please. I live in a rented house and the back garden is not very big. I cannot afford to buy a new conservatory so am looking on ebay at the moment.
What i need to know is what is the easiest and cheapest conservatory to buy, i'm guessing a lean to. I don't have the funds or ability to dig foundations, but i note ( i think) you can do a concrete base and do a little bit of a wall, say 2 or 3 bricks high, and sit a lean to conservatory on this.

Am i right, i would be so grateful for advice.

The house i'm in is very small downstairs, and i have just one room (open plan) which is my lounge/kitchen/diner, i am partially disabled and really need some separate space from all the noise and smell of my open plan room. The disrwasher is on, the washing machine the tumble dryer, and it just drives me mad with all the noise, when i cook the whole room stinks and my eyes always seem to water. There is no where for me to go when i'm not feeling great and to get away from the noise etc, apart from going to bed, which i don't want to keep doing. I would so dearly love to go and sit in a conservatory for peace and quiet when im in pain and also to sleep sometimes.

I do work but i'm not on a great income so will have to buy my conservatory second hand, and i can see some really good ones on ebay, but i need some advice before i go ahead. I already have french doors leading straight into my back garden.

All i want is a little haven for me to sit in all year long.
Many thanks for any advice given.

Sponsored Links
Urm you live in a rented property and want to give a conservatory to the owner? Youll need their permission, they will spec they type etc.. then probably charge you higher rent cos of the extra space..

Would it not be cheaper to rent a different property.. one with 2 rooms?

If you've followed any of the threads on these forums, about making conservatories warmer in winter, you would have realised that conservatories are too cold in winter to be used as a habitable room.
Depending on their orientation, they may be too warm in summer to be much use also.

If you did go ahead with your conservatory, I think you would be very disappointed.

If you've followed any of the threads on these forums, about making conservatories warmer in winter, you would have realised that conservatories are too cold in winter to be used as a habitable room.
Depending on their orientation, they may be too warm in summer to be much use also.

If you did go ahead with your conservatory, I think you would be very disappointed.

couldnt agree more with Red said...

Sponsored Links
The merits of putting your own conservatory on a rented place aside, you need to think carefully on what you expect from it and if second hand really is going to be cheaper

For your "escape" room you need to be aware of the inherent poor sound and heat efficiency of a glass box, so will this really be the quiet, warm cosy room you envisage?

Have you tried a conservatory in winter?

As for buying/building it, well there are lots of joints and potential for water to get in on a brand new conservatory fited by professionals, so when you consider a second hand one bashed about and full of drill holes and old sealant, the chance of secure watertight joints is much lessened.

Then you come to assembly, and if your disability prevents you building it, then who is going to do it and what guarantee are they going to give that the thing wont leak?

You can put a 4" concrete slab down, and none or a few courses of bricks as necessary.

But think twice about what you are expecting of it, and whether its best to get a new one fitted, or at least get a brand new kit from Wickes or a local frame maker and then DIY

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back