conservatory planning permission...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just found out that my old dear needs to get planning permission for a conservatory.
I think it's to do with her garden being very small, and even a small conservatory would take almost a quarter of the area.

Anyway, applying for the permission is fine , but what i'm not sure of is, does she need to get proper plans drawn up for this?

All we'll be doing is buying a budget diy conservatory from wickes/focus/b+q and i'm sure loads of people would have done this before.

I'd be grateful for any advice as i'm really not sure about paying an architect for somehting like this.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
planning will need to see the outline of the building (viewing from above)and it's location relative to the existing house and maybe proximity to the public highway.

a sketch drawn by yourself with written dimensions or a scale drawing will be ok. if needs be,write down the volume of the building too.

what reasons were given for the necessity of planning permission?

I didn't speak to them myself, but i reckon permission is required cos it really is a small garden so any conservatory will really eat in to the garden space.

I could put together a nice scaled drawing with as much info as i have about dimensions etc.

Hopefully that should be sufficient... I may call them to check.

the size of your garden is irrelevant, but the overall size of the conservatory is.

you are permitted 30m2 without requiring p.p.

proximity to a public highway however is an issue with planning.

Sponsored Links
Oh, right.

It's only gonna be a small 10x7 lean to.
I'd better give them a buzz, god knows how my mum explained it to them... :rolleyes:

cheers!

Find out exactly why you should need formal approval.

Most conservatories are 'permitted development' and do not require approval.
25% of the back garden is not a large enough area to require a formal application - it has to be 50% of all land around the property.

Yes you can DIY your plans, and if you go and have a look at some of them which have been submitted, you will see a significant number of them are amature and look just like a playschool house with a conservatory on the back.

In addition you will need a location and block plan of the site, and the proposal on the site in context with adjacent buildings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back