Planning permission/Building Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i'm new to this and just required some clarification.

Planning to replace an old conservatory at the back of my house with an extension for which i will probably need planning permission (£135?).

I seem to recall previously that when i submit this fee, i also pay in advance for the building regs (£450ish??). My question is, if the permission is denied (which they seem to think won't be the case), would my building regs fee be refunded?

I have tried to speak with my local offices, but they are hard work!!

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't make a BRegs submission until you have planning appro (if required). Fees are not usually refundable.

The 2 are completely separate, get you PP first & then make your BR submission. There are 2 methods; Full plans application where you set out everything in advance including submission of full specifications & drawings or the more usual & straight forward for smaller works, a Building Notice application.

If you visit the design portal;

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/odpm/4000000011249.pdf

you can download the forms you need & there is a useful explanation document available which fully explains both processes.

Have you checked that the extension can't be done under permited development - if so no formal planning app is required.

For building regs, if you are submitting plans, you pay the plan checking fee when you submitt the plans (about £130) and then when you start work you get invoiced for the site inspection fee - amount depends on floor area.

If you are submitting a building notice (no plans required), then you pay it all at once when you give the 48hours notice of intention to start work.

Normally, you would submit the planning application and then speak to the case officer after about five weeks to see if there are any issues, and then if not submit the b/regs application.

If you are building whatever happens, then even if you submit both applications at the same time, if planning want some changes then you can do these and the BCO will just check the work in any case even if different to the original plans - so the fee is not wasted.

Sponsored Links
...the BCO will just check the work in any case even if different to the original plans - so the fee is not wasted.
Unless there's an outright refusal from planning - assuming that it's required, naturellement.

Have you checked that the extension can't be done under permited development - if so no formal planning app is required.

For building regs, if you are submitting plans, you pay the plan checking fee when you submitt the plans (about £130) and then when you start work you get invoiced for the site inspection fee - amount depends on floor area.

If you are submitting a building notice (no plans required), then you pay it all at once when you give the 48hours notice of intention to start work.

Normally, you would submit the planning application and then speak to the case officer after about five weeks to see if there are any issues, and then if not submit the b/regs application.

If you are building whatever happens, then even if you submit both applications at the same time, if planning want some changes then you can do these and the BCO will just check the work in any case even if different to the original plans - so the fee is not wasted.

Hi,thanks for all this. By "under permitted development", do you mean is it an area under 70m cubed? I think it is about 7metres going across width wise and coming out from the house about 3metres.
However, we also had an extension two years ago at the front where converted an old garage and built a new area in front of that, so that would use up the allowance.

May go for the option suggested where i get planning permission first and then get the BR notice?

Yes - planning first (what you want to build); then BRegs (how you're going to build it), after you've got your planning appro and incorporated any changes that the zealots may require.

If you fall within permitted development allowances, then you can obviously skip planning and got straight to BRegs - on a building notice will do fine, you still get a completion certificate at the end, if the BCO's happy with what you've done. Fees are the same, whether notice or full plans route.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back