planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a quote for a conservatory 6m x 3m

Planning officer said its too big and could be maximum of 4m x 3m

So conservatory company said apply for 4m x 3m and then when permission is given just "pinch a bit" and build the original 6m x 3m as "they never come to inspect" as building regs are not required.

What do you think about this suggestion??

Sponsored Links
Hi

I thought you did not even need to apply for planning with a smaller conservatory anyway, this is what I was told by the council (I know we are in different areas) I was told I could pay for 'approval' if I wanted but it was not nessessary.

So the way I see it the problem you will have is when you come to sell the house because then it will most likely be picked up on and I guess you could possibly have to remove it, although if it has not caused any problems for anyone it would be pretty tight to make you do this!

All conservatories need planning permission. But it is true they dont need building regs if they are built to the conditions on the post 2 above.

However my question is, is inspection carried out on planning permission only items, and what would their view be on "pinching a bit"!

Sponsored Links
a conservatory does not need planning permission if you are within your permitted development (and certain other conditions are met), however all councils have diffreent ways of interpreting this

Planning permission is only granted on my conservatory if it is 4m long or less, due to the 45 degree rule from centre of other property windows.

I have planning permission for 4m long, and my conservatory company wants to "pinch another 2 metres"

If they did that (which would have failed planning permission):

1. Will the council ever inspect?
2. Under what circumstances would they demolish it?

I applied & got permission to build to the max, but on digging footings a drain was in the way. Man from council gave permission to go beyond permitted so we could bridge the drain. So its not set in stone...Yes we didnt get the relevant documentation from the council on completion.

My advice as a retired builder who has had many dealing with surveyors don't take the p....s out of them or you'll regret it.
If they see you are taking it out of them they will insist on inspections of every inch/cm measurement and come un-announced.

They are very amicable, go back to them and be humble let them know they are in charge and say for what reason can I not have the extra 2m on the length. If you talk nicely to them and plead ignorance say does the 6 x 3 infringe on the permitted development before it goes to planning permision stage. It's a load of bull but makes them feel important putting you right. Ask politely if they haven't already told you 'why can't I build the 6 x 3 one?.
Of course if you're still not statisfied you can go to planning ombudsman and appeal invariably those who do win.

The conservatory company wont care about the pinch it bit if it's got to be knocked down, they've got what they want that is they've off loaded a conservatory and extracted a lot of money from you. In nicking a bit it would be your decision and they would not want to know when the s..t :oops: hit the fan.

these conny companies arnt arsed and one whos advising this i wouldnt trust. its bad advise and im sure its because there selling you a bigger conny. like greengrass says dont get on the wrong side of these people or they can make things very difficult and dont be surpriced if they turn up the day its finished. if you play by the book with building inspectors they are sound and will advise you on ways of getting over certain things but they always play by the book.And if they notice anything else out of place on your house they can pull that so be warned.

"Neighbours....dum-de-dum.... Everybody needs good neighbours..."

Be sure that if you do the naughty thing one of them will drop you in it with the council.

e.g neighbour wants a similar sized conservatory, planners say no..........but bornlivelife's done it up the road......has he now, lets go and have a word

As jbonding says the consevatory company dont mind stiffing you as its not them who will be left with the mess to deal with - you will end up stomaching the costs/courts/problems selling etc

Dont you need building regs part l ? (or whaterver it's called). The company, if a fensa member should be able to supply you with certificate but make sure they are able to as it's the householder who's left to sort it out. Saw this first hand the other week, chap had built his own conservatory from B&Q last year but dodged the building regs, they then put house on market the silly wife told intending buyers how hubby had only just built it :rolleyes: Sooo their solicitor wants to know where the B/C certificate is :eek:. :oops:

Unless you live in a conservation area and you don't build within 2 metres of your boundary or come out nearer the highway than the rest of your house and keep it below 4 metres - you don't need PP or BC or FENSA.

joe

in addition to those items on masona's link - add in part p if any notifiable work is part of the conservatory.

best thing to do is to check directly with your council regarding pp/bc to be sure of no future problems.

Also keep in mind that if the conservatory company are happy to build you a problem (re- planning permission) how professional will the construction of the conservatory be?

do they provide foundations/slab etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back