Conservatory Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back in 2003 my wife and i decided we wanted to add a conservatory to the side of our house. We set about getting quotes and decided on using a local company vs. the usual national names. Everything seemed to go okay as far as the building of the conservatory was concerned. It is 4m x 3m and did not require planning permission. We never ever got a completion certificate from the builders.
We are now in the process of selling to move to a bigger property and have discovered we need this. Having contacted local BC office and had an inspector out they have told us that there should have been ventillation bricks below the floor level fitted as it is not a concrete floor.
1 - Is the builder responsible for this and should they be remedying this at their cost?
2 - Will this stop me from completing the sale of my house?

Only 9 weeks 'til move in date for new one.

Sponsored Links
What is this "completion certificate" from the builders supposed to be? A reciept?

Are you saying that building control were involved, and an application for building regulation approval was made? If so, why did th conservatory need building regulation approval?

I don't know a lot about regulations, etc. but BC inspects the work after completion to make sure it meets a certain standard of workmanship. I think they, not the builder, issue this certificate. As far as i know the builders applied for a warrant to do the job and the sign-off needed to take place within a certain timescale.

As far as I know, conservatories that size separated from the main dwelling by an external door don't come under BC regulations (mine certainly didn’t) so I don’t understand why the BC inspector is involved at all; although he does have a valid point about the ventilation!

Are the purchasers after some form of warranty from the builder? It’s usual for builders to offer a 10 year warranty, preferably from an independent insurance company.

Sponsored Links
conservatories in England as a rule do not require b'regs and are largely exempt. it may be different in Scotland.

but a standard of workmanship does exist regardless of building control. the builder should have spotted the underfloor air bricks and ducted them through to the outside wall of the conservatory.

i'm surprised this was not spotted sooner by neither the builder or yourselves?

noseall said:
conservatories in England as a rule do not require b'regs and are largely exempt. it may be different in Scotland.
That may be the case; I didn't pay too much attention to the posters location & though it was Lancashire!

i'm surprised this was not spotted sooner by neither the builder or yourselves?

How many of the general public do you think actually know what should be done as standard?
That is the whole point of purchasing from a company whose sole purpose is to build the product to the standards required and recognised by the trade and the trades regulators.
Anyway, none of these comments have even answered any of the 2 questions posted.
1 - Is the builder responsible for this and should they be remedying this at their cost?

[quote="DIY_Donkey[quote

yes

no not necessarily, though it may detract from the full value.

In my part of Scotland (and probably the regs are the same) a conservatory with an internal plan area greater than 8.0 sq metres needs a building warrant. Your quoted dimensions indicate that you would need a building warrant.

AFAIK the lack of a building warrant for any structure doesn't necessarily stop a sale. e.g A buyer might want to demolish and re-build.

In your situation I would contact the Building Office at the council and tell them that you will be submitting a retrospective warrant and ask for a site visit to see what needs to be done to comply with the regs. Then get hold of the builder, who should have known about the need for a warrant, and request him to complete the work outlined by the officer, as soon as possible. Then get an architect to visit the site and draw up the plans for the warrant application. The cost of the plans was always going to be met by you, and arguably the cost of the extra work needed by the builder was also going to be in his original costings, but I think you can negotiate in this area. Eventually you will have a completion certificate for the deeds.

None of this should stop the sale. Your solicitor can negotiate a reduction in the price that matches the costs you are about to incur and effectively sell the work to the next owner (if they accept the deal).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back