conservatory's & a completion certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife & i had a conservatory built almost 2 years ago & thought it had passed inspection by the local authority but now that we come to sell our house we have found out it has'nt, there was a problem with the plans which has been sorted & as the conservatory comes off the kitchen we had to fit a hose to the outside of the house from the extractor in the kitchen, I dont know why i had to but the guy from the council said i had to, but now i have another problem it seems that i need a spillage test done on the back boiler in my livingroom before he will pass the conservatory, I need to know why i need this & what it is, I dont understand why i need an extractor in my kitchen & a spillage test on my livingroom back boiler, all to have a completion certificate issued.

I would be gratefull if someone could shed some light on this matter for me & let me know if the company that built the conservatory should have had a spillage test done when the conservatory was built.

Thanks for taking the time to read & reply to this......Tom

Sponsored Links
conservatories per se are b.c. exempt and do not require building regulations.

however, conservatories can sometimes cause regulatory problems to the existing build that may need modifying.

Is your kitchen linked to your living room somehow ? I take it the kitchen did not have extraction before conservatory was fitted or did the outlet discharge into the outside that is now covered ? Need more info on why your conservatory came under regs please ?

After the conservatory was erected the gentleman from the council came round & told us that as the conservatory comes of or kitchen we needed an extractor that went outside, As i have an extractor hood fitted i made a hole behind this and fitted some piping that ran to the outside wall, Then after 2 years we found out that there had not been a completion certificate given for the conservatory as the plans that had been submitted were different to the conservatory, I had the plans changed & given to the council then i was asked to submit a letter stating that i did not have an open flue combustion appliance in what i thought was just the conservatory, after sending a letter stating i did not have anything like that in the conservatory i got a call from the council asking if i had any open flue combustion appliance in the house, I told him i had a back boiler in the livingroom & that is when he told me i needed a spillage test, The living room runs the length of my house about 28 foot long and about 12 foot wide the door to the hall is to the left of the wall the hall is about 10 foot square if i was to come out of my livingroom turn left then left again i would be in my kitchen.

Sponsored Links
It must be different up there in the highlands, as in England and Wales the council's building control would have no remit to get involved in this.

Also it is the building owner who is responsible for conforming to any b/regs.

If you contracted the company to do this, then you will have to sue in your civil court for your losses.

If this is holding up the sale, then see if you can get some "indemnity insurance" to indemnify the purchasers against any possible action by the council. Ask your conveyance Solicitor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back