Building Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

12 months ago we have a conservatory built and planned to have new french doors fitted to the back of the property that lead into it. Well the doors were removed as the conservatory was built so that all the plaster work etc could be completed as we had not found the doors we liked.

Everything has been fine and we have come to love the openness of the the house without and doors leading into the conservatory. We are aware that if we had not wished to fit doors at the time when the conservatory had been built we would have needed building control to inspect the work but what is the case now?

If we do not fit the doors and we decide to move the surveyor may ask for a building cert to show the work complied? Obviously we have not got one as the plan was to fit the doors. If we fit them to sell the house it will spoil the current layout that loads of visitors to the house say looks great!!

I don't want to contact the BC office as we hear stories of retrospective certification being very expensive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dux

Sponsored Links
I'd just explain the situation to potential buyers, and that if they have a problem with it you can fit some cheapo doors to help grease the sale.

Im in the same situation, however im putting full folding doors in for the winter. Its a bit of a chicken and egg situation, as in the eyes of building control the conservatory doesnt exist as long as it meets the definition, but as you have siad what you have done doesnt! I wouldnt worry too much. What i have seen some do is put up a nice door lining in place without the doors making it easy to install some at a later date

I will be doing the same as you, replace the patio door with french door but I will be using exterior doors in which the building control cannot say anything. As Thermo said it's a very grey area because if you use interior doors it may not or may be known as a extension without planning :rolleyes: My new next door neighbour moved in the last 18 months ago have no doors or patio door to the conservatory and this was never picked up by the estate agent or the solicitor. The way I see it what can they say if you fit a exterior doors as it's no difference to a back door. The reason I've mention exterior door it may effect your insurance policies as the mortise lock should have a BS 3621

Sponsored Links
good point about the interior/exterior doors. Thing is with the conservatory we have had fitted the locks are 100% safer than any lock fitted to the house, and it's only 4 years old!!

If we do have doors fitted then we wil want 4 doors that fold right back tot he walls at each side so it does not create a barrier. The opening into the conservatory is wider than french windows at approx. 8ft. Previously there was fench windows with single fixed uPVC windows to each side all as a single unit.

I think the main thing that building control would be interested in is the thermal efficiency of the whole property as a result of the increase in glass. What we have done is had the cavity filled and double loft insulation fitted to the loft. The covervatory has 28mm double glazed argon filled pilkington K units to windows and roof.

theres no harm in phoning your local bco. I spoke to them about it and they said they would need some sort of infill for the opening. I know different councils have different interpretations of the quality of the doors used however.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back