Any Easy Options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kitchen fitters removed a stud wall to open up kitchen to make a kitchen/family room. Unfortunately, there's a 9mm difference in the surfaces of the (now) two adjoining walls. What methods do you professionals use to overcome this situation? It's a fairly modern house, built very late 90's. Any advice would be appreciated. I hope I've explained the situation sufficiently for you to understand, but I'm only a plumber:)

Sponsored Links
If the edges aren't too messy, how about a vertical length of decorative stripwood moulding?

I had something similar after knocking through. A length of 35mm x 6mm and some no nails gave a nice line to work to from both sides for decoration.

I guess it depends if you're happy to make a 'feature' of it.

Fair enough for the suggestion above but if you go that route a length of Bolection moulding might pick up the 9mm difference or use two pieces of moulding/pencil round to kind of build a Bolection lip.

In such situations we most always pick up jogs by plastering to a flat surface, level with the high side.
This gives the option for a flat run of units or worktops or decorating through both rooms - no jogs.
This suggestion also relies on clean kitchen walls - no units etc - to work to?

Sponsored Links
Agree with Vinn, plaster it out evenly/flat, to the same plane as the high side, giving you a "flat wall" all the way across. Any joints in the plasterboard at the old wall junction would need to be taped as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back