Rendering and Plastering Damp Treated Wall - PLEASE HELP

18 Sep 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
The situation:

I live in a Victorian property, built in 1891 and almost every supporting wall sat on foundations suffers damp.
Recently I have gutted my kitchen and the brickwall, this is an adjoining wall with the neighbours, is rodden with moisture.

It also seems someone previously has just rendered over to hide the damp beneath.

What I plan to do is hack all the render and plaster off, get it down to bare bricks. Then using Dryzone DPC, inject it into the lowest mortar layer. I know the neighbours have had professional damp treating people in doing the wall the otherside.

Once I have done this how should I finish the wall. I want to get all the walls smoothed and ready for a new kitchen.

I have read about using a waterproofer with a 3:1 sand cement mix. Is this the best way?

Do I use a standard waterproofer that I can buy from Wickes?

Can the render then be skimmed with plaster?

I have never attempted plastering and redering so will be getting a professional to do that.

My kitchen measures 2.65m x 2.53m and wall height is 2m. How much can I expect to pay for the rendering and plastering?

I am trying to get this work done to a professional quality but with a tight budget.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local