Kitchen Sink problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry to bother everyone as I know there are already ten's of posts on this matter, but I'm sOOOO not familiar with plumbing that I don't understand most of the previous ones.

Problem is this... :cry: :cry: .

Just fitting a new kitchen in my flat. Have purchased an undermount sink and am being told by handyman I got out (at not a cheap rate :eek: ) that I will need to install a saniflow at the cost of £1000 (part and labour). This is on top of the cost of my kitchen fitter who's now had to come to a halt because he doesn't do plumbing.

The waste outlet pipe to external wall is about 1.5metres from the sink drainage point (at 90 degree angle) and by the looks of it will be fairly horizontal. The waist outlet pipe must be at a standard height???? so I can't understand why my sink is now too low (considering standard unit height etc. etc.)

Has anyone any info on what angle the pipe would need to be at and also if it is uphill what my options might be.

Need to find out asap......although appreciate its late :D , so if there are any budding plumbers up late!!!!!!!!

I'd really really appreciate suggestions.

Sponsored Links
shog said:
Has anyone any info on what angle the pipe would need to be at...
2½°.

...and also if it is uphill what my options might be.
1. Raise the cupboards and the worktop.
2. Drill a new hole in the wall, lower down, and alter the connection outside.

As difficult and expensive as either of these options might be, both are preferable to installing any kind of Saniflow device. :(

Sponsored Links
You havn't given a lot of information such as are you ground floor/first floor , is the current waste stack connection or through wall to an outside drain etc but the first thought would be to either move the waste to a lower point - either a new connection into the stack (if that's where it's going at present) or lower down on the wall if that's possible.

If the current piework is actually level and the run is very short then it may be possible to raise the units by an 40mm to give you the fall needed (provided this dosn't make the worktops either unusable or visually strange)

Responding to your specific questions;

The waste needs to be falling at about 1in40

If the waste runs uphill then you need to create a fall by finding an alternative route for the waste connection - pipe is happy to go uphill - water isn't!

Very subjective without knowing all the details but £1000 to supply and fit a saniflo (which isn't the correct model for a sink waste) when there is an existing waste outlet seems a very high figure.

If you do go down the pump route then make sure that your handyman is registered 'part P' as the work is in a kitchen (unless it is simply plugged into a wall outlet)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back