Any gotchas or obvious points I might have missed here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for any gotchas or obvious points I might have overlooked in the following plan:

I’ve never done floor digging and repairing before, or burying pipes – but done plenty of DIY and plumbing so reasonably confident.

I am replacing a concrete buried 15mm copper pipe + compression joint (bad) with single 22mm polypipe runs – to service my bathroom.
The feed comes under the floor in the adjacent room (via a cellar) and then disappears into concrete (screed) where the bathroom wall starts and then travels under the builtin shower. There appears to be no sleeving or protection for these pipes from the concrete in which they are encased.
I have no plans to remove to shower and the floor under it to get to the existing pipe that would be a huge undertaking.

So the plan is to remove the floor covering in a suitable location. Cut two slots around 75mm deep by 100mm wide in the concrete floor to accept the new pipes. Dig it / smash it out. Fit the pipe.

"The flooring bit". ..

Then I plan to mix Ardex A45 with a 1/3 sharp sand and make good the floor and thereafter reattach the existing floor covering. (Cork tiles).
I don’t know very much about concreting beyond replacing fence posts with postcrete and the odd brick pointing I have done.
My main point with using the Ardex A45 is to get the room serviceable as quick as practicable as I read I can re-tile around 2 hours after laying it.
Can I just mix up enough for the entire depth in one hit and trowel it all in?
Wait 15 minutes and polish it off?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back