Can I have electric underfloor heating in a bathroom without burying it in screed?

K_L

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing a bathroom and would like to put one of those thin electric heating mats under the floor. The floor is going to be vinyl with integrated underlay (William Stone Silver SPC from Wickes) on a concrete slab. I don't want to increase the floor level compared to the other rooms much, so I was hoping to get away without burying the mats in screed of any sort. Ideally just a DPC, thin insulation (5 mm Diall polystyrene?), the heating mat, and the floor (6mm including the underlay). Is that going to work? Can I put the heating straight on top of the PS underlay? Can I put the vinyl floor straight on top of the heating?

Wherever I look on the internet, I find bathroom heating always in a layer of self-levelling compound or under tile adhesive. I know the vinyl flooring isn't exactly mainstream, but I can't believe nobody has done this before... Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Well, the problem with that is that I'd need to have 6 mm board plus some adhesive below, plus tour another 10 mm of levelling on top, so I'm at some 18 mm higher than the other room, which is a noticeable step...

In the instructions to the one you posted (Option 3) they put it directly on top of the Pro-Foam board, which is good, so how about if I put the vinyl floor directly on top of it without the boards? Would that warp or otherwise hurt the flooring?

Sponsored Links
Well, the problem with that is that I'd need to have 6 mm board plus some adhesive below, plus tour another 10 mm of levelling on top, so I'm at some 18 mm higher than the other room, which is a noticeable step...

In the instructions to the one you posted (Option 3) they put it directly on top of the Pro-Foam board, which is good, so how about if I put the vinyl floor directly on top of it without the boards? Would that warp or otherwise hurt the flooring?
18mm threshold isn’t a problem.

Or

Attachments

• IMG_5682.png
    IMG_5682.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 31

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back