Any idea what these garden cables are for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Dug through these two cables with a digger in a garden, just wondering if anybody has any ideas what they might be for?

You'd think garden lighting, but, the cables were underneath some concrete outhouses which have been there since the 50s, so that seems unlikely.

They're 4-core inside a see-through plastic sleeve with a thin blue strand of string in the middle. Each core is about 1mm square.

They eventually enter a clay pipe near the edge of the garden and are heading out towards the street.

Nothing appears to have gone off, haven't touched them to find out if they're live :LOL:

Any ideas?

nAyBWEW.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

Sponsored Links
Have you stripped that one back?

Are both cables severed?

How deep are they?

Can you get some close up hi res pics?

It could be telecoms..... :eek:

I stripped that one back, they're about 0.5m deep, both cables are severed in two locations (once at each trench!).

I cut a section out and took the pic below. You can see it's two black, two see-through and a blue plastic chord, they're solid core and quite stiff. It's not live AC.

There is a telegraph pole at the side of the garden but the cables are not heading towards it in any way and are a good 7-8m from it.

1tSzIGG.jpg

Strip it further and see if they are twisted i.e. twisted pairs.

Are the cores like tv coax central conductors?

Sponsored Links
They aren't twisted, they're far too thick and are solid core. The pics make them look quite small but they're probably 1-1.5mm square each, ie about the same as typical domestic twin and earth.

Way too heavy to be coax or aerial type cable.

Way too heavy to be coax or aerial type cable.
I think you were being asked whether the insulation, particularly the translucent stuff, is similar to that around the central conductor of coax (i.e. 'cellular', with 'air holes' in it).

Kind Regards, John

So it's a four core cable?

Two black, two whiteish?

Has the cable got any other covering other than the sheath over the cores?

I still think it might be telecoms, but the cable I have seen that is similar is armoured.

Turns out I was wrong, they are twisted, just cleaned the cable up and cut a piece off. The two lighter cores are sort of translucent, not white, can't really tell if it's got air bubbles in the insulation.

Does that mean it's off some old TV aerial or something? Bit confused why there would be two of them buried in a garden if so...? And why do they head towards the street?

I guess they aren't put there in modern times due to the age of the buildings they went underneath...

Better pic:-

MDBuELj.jpg

Is it your incoming BT cable, your phone is still working due to you being on a different provider?

Andy

Don't have a land line, but the house has an overhead connection from a telegraph pole, as do seemingly all the others on the street, so wouldn't expect any underground phone cables?

They don't appear to be heading towards the house either, they're alongside it, I've marked them on the map below with Xs where we crossed/cut them:-

f5WfzWm.jpg

They may be old cables used by Rediffusion ( Radio Relay ) cable network.
We are told that the cable has been there (covered by concrete) since the 50s, if not before. I must say that I thought it was 60s before the Rediffusion cable network appeared, but I may be wrong.

Kind Regards, John

Are they twisted PAIRS, or are all four twisted together? Looks like the latter in one of the photos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back