Any idea what this is?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Firstly if this is the wrong forum to put this, i'm sorry. Please move it appropriately.

I am trying to identify what this is? And where I could get a new cover for it as you can clearly see this one is well past its best! :)

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Al[/img]

Sponsored Links
Yes should also have a mica (early clear plastic like material) flap on the inside of the grille.

Probably, as suggested above, its a Fresh Air Inlet (FAI) coming from an older sewage pipe. Thing is, that FAI's were often installed in drainage lines that had house traps.

House traps were, and are, a nuisance by sometimes frequently blocking. Usually it would take a series of blockages and a camera down the drain to determine if you actually have a house trap.

FWIW: Its actually a post for the plumbing forum.

Sponsored Links
As said, its an air vent. An early type of Air Admittance Valve (AAV). Usually sited by the inspection chamber nearest the road, which would be fitted with an interceptor trap to seal the house drains off from the main sewer in the road. The idea was air passing over the top of the soil stack would cause a negative pressure in the house drainage system, thus the mica flap in the lower vent would open allowing air to be drawn in, ventilating the system.

Chances are now the rodding eye in the interceptor has long since disappeared, and the house drains aren't air tight from the main in the road, and the low level vent is surplus to requirements. If you want to get rid of it, then do so, seal the pipe with some concrete to prevent odours and in case rats decide to use it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back