Where to source 6 core cable for Honeywell 7 day programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone advise where the best place to obtain 6 core cable is please?

Have done a search but not getting anywhere fast.

Rgds,

Al

Sponsored Links
you will be paying £££££££££££ for it when you find it (it is available) i am assuming its for mains that is.

why not use 2 X 3 ore and earths, available from any good shed (normally used for 2 way light switching)

Sponsored Links
Last time I asked, this was the answer:

For a programmer you must use "fixed wiring" which means solid cores. You would need 3 x 2 core + earth because the earth conductors would become live in use and is not double insulated. Or 2 x 3 core + earth of course.

It would also NOT be acceptable to use 3 core flex x 2, partly because it is not permitted to use the indicated earth conductor for other purposes, even if marked with red sleeving.

ChrisR said:
Last time I asked, this was the answer:

For a programmer you must use "fixed wiring" which means solid cores. You would need 3 x 2 core + earth because the earth conductors would become live in use and is not double insulated. Or 2 x 3 core + earth of course.

It would also NOT be acceptable to use 3 core flex x 2, partly because it is not permitted to use the indicated earth conductor for other purposes, even if marked with red sleeving.

ChrisR, thanks for this. Looks like 2 cable minimum then - got a source of 5 core already, will need to run a second single core.

Many thanks guys and enjoy the rest of the day.

Al

Not wanting to be pedantic but it's a cpc not an earth any longer.

Doesn't make sense that you can't use flex because flex comes out of the valves what's the difference?

I don't think there's a chapter and verse that says you can't relabel a cpc, you can relable neutral as phase, that's no better. If someone could point me to a reference I'll change my opinion but I want the full reference.

Now I've learned a little about electrics I've found out how much b u ll s h it sparky's have been spouting.

Of course you have to observe distances and resistances and of course you can't use the unsleeved cpc in t&e as a phase or neutral.

ChrisR said:
I can see why cable earths (cpcs) cannot be used as conductors, since they do not have insulation (other than outer sheath), but I have occasionally used flex earths with red sleeve at each exposed end to indicate it being potentially live. The flex size and standard of insulation appears to be the same as the conductors. I can't see what practical objection there could be to this.

No, Paul Barker is a very common name up North, when I worked in the nhs I did a computer search in our own hospital for Paul Barker with my year of birth and turned up no less than 4 others as well as myself in this area alone. There is a writer who occasionally gets his stuff published, and a photographer in Fulham.

If you did a google search for Paul Barker 6 months ago you'd have turned up my goodself waffling on about valve audio hifi. That was my hobby for last 7 years but I've burned out now.

I am the real Paul Barker.

Oh there is also another corgi registered Paul Barker in Scarborough, but he trades under the name Premier Plumbing or something like that. We're about the same age but I'm more handsome and intelligent.

Paul,

Reason for asking is that i'm from up North originally and used to go to school with a chap of said name - from infants through to High.

Nice to make your acquatance sir and have a great day.

Al

Doesn't make sense that you can't use flex because flex comes out of the valves what's the difference?

This part I CAN answer! The thang about flex is that it must have a cable grip. So you can take flex into a heating connection box cos they have those rather inadequate clamp-strips. A cylinder stat has a cable grip so ok, but not yer average wall stat or programmer.
There is (I should say WAS) a restriction on putting flex into conduits - including the stuff you stick on the wall. You could only use flex if you could see both ends of the conduit. Struck me as rather odd.

Sparky's regs seem even more haphazard than gas ones. Books like the 16th edition Installation Guide seem to be taken as gospel. A bit like gas ACOPS.

I wasx told "I don't care what you're religion is, I will convert you, the On Site Guide is your bible."

Narrow lives these sparkies leed.

Thanks for the clarification on the cable thing.

Those connection boxes that come with control packs are useless. I go to William Wilson's for much more substantial boxes that you can fit everything into and clamp the cables without having to distort the whole things squashing it back together and pray that non of the leeds come out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back