Any idea what's happening to my wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Got some trouble with a wall on my house and hoping someone can help on what to do. Not sure if this can be done just by looking at it but anyway here's a pic.

So for some background: House was built in 1935 (central scotland). It's a downstairs wall right next to a chimney going all the way to the corner of the wall. When we moved in 4 years ago we got this room plastered then painted and put a wood burner in next to where this pic is shown. The house walls are standard 2 layers of bricks with an empty cavity (not insulated) and then pebbledashed and painted on the outside. No idea if there's a damp proof course or how I would find out.

The paint started flaking like this about a year or 2 ago and just getting round to fixing it just now. One thing to note that might be relevant is that the white stuff in the pic where I've scraped off the paint tastes salty.

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be brilliant.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Looks like damp coming in from the window. Is the window well sealed outside?

There's your problem, render around window!!!

Sponsored Links
As above, there is a problem around the window stone reveals but your pic only shows damp damage on one side of the window - although both reveals show peeling paint?

The lower rail on the window frame is not projecting over the stone sill and relies on a strip of glued on PVC which, in turn, has been sealed with some grey painted silicone.

Is there a drip throating below the stone sill?
There is also a render crack lower right of the sill.
Examine the stone sill for cracks.

If you can stand back and give a context to the outside of the whole w/frame, and similar for the wall inside the room?

In the meantime remove all silicone sealing - then re-seal.
Remove all the grey reveal paint - examine why the stonework was painted in the first place?

Inside remove all damaged plaster back to brick and then post a pic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back