1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

What is this dark patch on my chimney breast?!

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by philkiel, 2 Dec 2015.

1. philkiel

philkiel

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, about 2 years ago we had the whole house re-plastered and painted when we moved in, however this one single patch has refused to dry and the paint has flaked off. It's on the left hand side of my fireplace and I haven't a clue what's causing it!

Can anyone help identify it? It doesn't smell like damp or have any mouldy patches, it just refuses to dry properly.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. roy c

roy c

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It looks like someone has had a blow lamp on it !!! Or one of the candles has burnt it!!

Last edited: 3 Dec 2015
  4. roughcaster

roughcaster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I reckon that's damp, maybe not to the touch, but something's coming through. Nothing shows up damp/salts, etc more than gypsum plaster. Was there an old firepace there when you moved in?

5. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Damp , check roof ,chimney, flashing etc.

6. scruffybiker

scruffybiker

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Most probably salts left behind from when fire was in use. I get it in my property. Salt staining on chimneys & one exterior wall in lounge. It flares up when humid/cooking or raining.

7. ree

ree

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    scruffybiker,

the OP appears to have disappeared from his own post. But, FWIW, if you are having difficulties with soot penetration from a flue(s) then why not open a separate thread describing your difficulties on here or in the building forum?

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links