Any ideas what this pipe might be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all..

I've got footings for an extension dug and came across a pipe, its metal, black and about 10" diameter. We can't build over it until we've found out what it is - any ideas?

I've got gas board and water board coming to look but thought I'd ask here in case anyone's seen this kind of pipe before - I really want to know whether I can continue my extension :confused:

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss301/RatherDIY/007.jpg
http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss301/RatherDIY/011.jpg

Thanks!
Rob[/img]

Sponsored Links
Looks like a drain to me. Drain layout should be in your deeds and most would have researched this before starting. There are rules regarding drains passing through new works. they need protection. I think its part H of the building regs that covers drains. Whatever ,you need to look it up

It certainly looks like a foul drain.

Projecting its direction forwards can you not guess what its coming from or going to?

Are you in Kent or Wiltshire?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys - regarding the deeds, nothing shown that matches.

The property is in Berkshire. The estate was built mid 80's on what was farm land.

The house backs onto fields and there's a water reservoir a few fields away which I believe supplies the estate - our current guess is its a main supply pipe. Interesting if you think it could be drain because there are no other properties behind and no manhole covers (if thats relevant?!)

It's not supplying my house - we know where those rainwater and foul drains run.

From it's direction it looks like it passes under my garage and possibly next doors house (which my garage is attached to).

Anyone know whether this kind of pipe wouldn't service water, or have pipe colours/sizes etc changed too much to be able to know?

Thanks again,
Rob

To me it looks like a plastic pushfit underground drain pipe similar to some I had in my garage. They were commonly used for surface water drainage.

If its plastic then it will not be pressurised water.

If so then I suggest you drill a 2 mm hole in it and if nothing comes out then cut a 50 mm hole and see what you find inside. If water were to come out then put a self tapping screw in to seal it.

Farms often had land drains and farm irrigation pipes.

If it goes under your garage I suggest you excavate where it would reach your garage and see if its been cut off there or if it continues under the garage.

Tony

Be extremely careful if you try to drill a hole in it.

it's not unknown for electrical supply cables to be run inside some other piping.
Could get a nasty shock :D

Are you sure it's metal? the only time I've come across that type of joint on an underground pipe it was an asbestos water main. Try scratching it to see if you uncover any white under the black paint.
One thing for sure is it's not a drain of any kind & it's not a plastic push fit joint, that type of joint is pushed into the socket & then a collar is screwed into place, you will find the outer ring is castellated to accept a very large C spanner.

Thanks Keego - so it's unlikely to be a drain - does that mean its unlikely to be carrying water....i.e. its a gas main?? :(

The drilling was only if it was plastic!

Now we know its steel and with that kind of joint it looks like a water main.

But its not deep enough to be a proper water supply so my guess is that its part of an old farm irrigation system.

Its probably no longer in use. Check at the garage and if it goes under intact then my suggestion is to call the water supply co and ask them if its one of theirs. If they say no then I would suggest that you drill it and see. But have a 4 mm hss tap and screw to hand in case!

Whatever happens do come back and tell us as its facinating.

Tony

I would say it's water, gas were only allowed to use bolted gland or flanged joints.
Most water mains have about 3 foot of cover on them.

Certainly looks like a spun iron water pipe to me.

Tony, not too sure about the lack of depth - judging by the first picture with the spade I would say that the hole is at least 1m deep which would be more than deep enough for a water main. 750mm cover minimum I think.

I would say a water main looking at it. Ductile iron is still used for water supply, a new main was laid near me recently. It had to cross an old railway bridge, and as only a shallow depth could be achieved across the bridge the new plastic main was split down into a pair of smaller dia iron pipes at this point, rejoining to continue in the larger dia plastic past the bridge.

If necessary I could post the picture for you on another forum, there's a guy there who works on water mains, he might be able to offer his opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back