Any ideas what this pipe might be?

The required cover of 750mm is to the TOP of the pipe!

The 3' spade is at an angle of about 45° giving about 1½" height BUT the spade is at the bottom of the trench rather that on top of the pipe.

However the picture does NOT show the ground level so the spade handle can be at any depth below ground!

Please would the OP measure from the TOP of the pipe to the ground level and update us on the progress with exposing at the garage and communications with the water supply co etc.

This is exciting!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Whatever the required depths are, I'm sure that we have all hard how they are not always buried to the correct depth.

So it's rather immaterial.

If its a professional water supply pipe then I am sure it would have been installed to the correct depth originally.

However the house builders might well have altered the ground level.

I all looking forward to the news about the pipe at the garage. I thought he would have dug it after church this morning!

Tony

They are installed at the correct depth, usually one provided by the site agent.
However what they do with the ground levels once you've left site is a different matter. I have laid pipes at over 1m only to go back to install services & find they have taken 1/2m off the ground level, at the same time pipes were put in 2m deep because I was told the ground level was being dropped & it never was. Always got my drawings signed by the site agent to confirm levels so any cock up was down to them.

Sponsored Links
Evening all! Visit from the water board sorted it - it's the old supply pipe to the village from before this estate was built.

Just waiting on official docs/advice (they want to check there's nothing routed inside it) then we can continue building...*phew*..

Thanks very much for your input!
Cheers
Rob

At one time the water cos were trying to build a communications network of fibre optic cables inside water pipes.

Another was to run them along railways.

The one that did work well was to run them along the earth wire on HV cables on pylons.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back